Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "Pinning" QB Members Quilts on Pinterest >
  • "Pinning" QB Members Quilts on Pinterest

• "Pinning" QB Members Quilts on Pinterest

Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 AM

Question "Pinning" QB Members Quilts on Pinterest

I've seen a lot of quilts on Pinterest that link back here to QB. Do members mind (care?) that people are pinning their quilts? People seem to go to Google Images and pin from there. When you click on the actual photo, it links back to QB. Whenever you post a photo here on QB, it automatically files it into Google Images. (I just linked to Falling Charms Quilts and a beautiful autumn color quilt made by Wendys Quilts is one of the images. She posted it here when she completed it.) I guess by posting pictures here at QB, they become "public domain" in that they show up in Google.

I have seen many quilts that I love, but want to respect QB members. How do members feel about having their quilts pinned to another board (Pinterest in particular)? I am a firm believer in giving credit where credit's due, so if a quilt links back to QB, should they be pinned with the maker's name (board name of course)?

Just an inquiring mind that wants to know.

Thanks.

Anita
    Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 AM
    Power Poster

Once anything is posted, it is out there. Always assume that it will go public. I don't Pinterest because QB is addictive enough.
    Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM
    Power Poster

I don't see the reasoning for being mad when a picture posted on a free board may be copied. Pinterest does give the owner credit.
    Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

While googling something, I discovered that two of my quilts appeared on Judy Martin's pinterest page. I considered that a great honor. Nothing that is posted to the internet can ever be considered private. http://www.pinterest.com/judymartinq...-cabin-quilts/
    Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 AM
    Power Poster

It is amazing what goes on Google. I was searching information on Eileen Wright new Bargello book when I saw a picture of a quilt I had made in the early 90s. It was published in a Bargello book and back then there wasn't much of an internet. Some quilt store in Australia had posted it since I guess they are still selling the quilt book. It just really surprised me !!
    Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 AM
    Power Poster

Anything you post to this board (and many others) is public. That's why members are discouraged from posting addresses (email and snailmail) and other personal info, including pictures of children. Your profile info is only available to other members who are logged in.
    Many members find this board by googling a quilting topic and following the link here.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-08-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    Old 11-08-2013, 08:11 AM
    Power Poster

Actually I would think it was quilte a complement if someone thought my work was good enought to pin.
    Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 AM

While I agree that it's quite a compliment to have a quilt pinned, I also want whomever sees that pic knows that it is MY quilt, not QuiltingBoard's quilt. Anyone who isn't a member can't go to the post without logging in (from what I understand-correct me if I'm wrong), so they don't know who the pic actually belongs to. It's one of the things that annoys me about this board not allowing me to put watermarked photos on the board. And one of the reason I rarely post pics of my quilts on the board.

Last edited by cindi; 11-08-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

You are quite right. You have to log in before you can comment. You can look but not touch until logging in
    Originally Posted by cindi
    While I agree that it's quite a compliment to have a quilt pinned, I also want whomever sees that pic knows that it is MY quilt, not QuiltingBoard's quilt. Anyone who isn't a member can't go to the post without logging in (from what I understand-correct me if I'm wrong), so they don't know who the pic actually belongs to. It's one of the things that annoys me about this board not allowing me to put watermarked photos on the board. And one of the reason I don't normally post pics of my quilts on the board.
    Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 AM

I think they can go to the post they just can't reply without being logged in