Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A plea for help with a little bit of background story >
  • A plea for help with a little bit of background story

• A plea for help with a little bit of background story

Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 PM

Hi John, I'm sorry for you loss. What a loving tribute you're doing, in finishing his quilt idea!

I don't understand why you're needing it so thick either. Oh - are you talking about 'width'?

But to sew it onto the quilt, just iron the edges of your circle under about 1/4 of an inch or so, and pin it onto your quilt top, making sure it's lying good and flat, and sew it on. Make sure you have it pinned very good, due to it's large size.

If this doesn't help at all, keep asking, I'm sure someone on here will be able to explain better!
    :) :)
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Ok, I have heard of this method for drawing a really large circle, I am attaching the link. I would practice on a large piece of paper first. you can take two pencils attach a string to each pencil. Someone will have to hold it down in the middle of the circle and then go out as far as you want the size of the circle to be and pivot around the person holding the other end of the string. Here is the link, may make more sense.http://www.ehow.com/how_2239326_draw-circle-string.html
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 PM

To make the circle, get a large paper table cloth and spread it out on the floor. Get a pencil and attach it to a long string (1/2 the desired diameter of the circle - the radius, I guess). then anchor it to a spot in the center of the paper, stretch out and keeping the center in place, draw with the pencil. Kind of like the compasses we used in school to draw circles for geometry. It is like when a dog is on a rope anchored in the grounds and can only go in circles. lol
    Once you have the paper circle, you can cut sections...you would have to add 1/4 inch to each side of the piece of circle (arc) for the seam allowance to stitch the different colors together. Hope this all makes sense.

Sorry for your loss, I am sure you have a lot of wonderful memories for the time you spent together before his illness, rejoice in them!
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Hey nursie76, we are on the same wave length.http://www.ehow.com/how_2239326_draw-circle-string.html
    Originally Posted by nursie76
    To make the circle, get a large paper table cloth and spread it out on the floor. Get a pencil and attach it to a long string (1/2 the desired diameter of the circle - the radius, I guess). then anchor it to a spot in the center of the paper, stretch out and keeping the center in place, draw with the pencil. Kind of like the compasses we used in school to draw circles for geometry. It is like when a dog is on a rope anchored in the grounds and can only go in circles. lol
    Once you have the paper circle, you can cut sections...you would have to add 1/4 inch to each side of the piece of circle (arc) for the seam allowance to stitch the different colors together. Hope this all makes sense.

Sorry for your loss, I am sure you have a lot of wonderful memories for the time you spent together before his illness, rejoice in them!
    :lol:
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:28 PM

:thumbup:
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM

perfect. thank you. i was starting to do all this crazy math stuff with scaling shapes up and down....it was very complicated. this makes infinitely more sense. I'll let you know how it turns out.

in mid-april, several of our closest friends are coming to spend a few days with me. we're going to have a little bee and do the actual quilting. we'll be using it as a backdrop for all of numbers his friends will be singing/performing at his memorial in may.

thank you

john
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 PM

John, please do let us know how it turns out.

And if you have trouble using a string to draw the circle, try using a yard stick, figure out someway to attach one end to the center of the circle and attach the pencil out on the yardstick as far are you want to go out. Might be more stable than a string. Just another idea.
    Originally Posted by PicklesPimento
    perfect. thank you. i was starting to do all this crazy math stuff with scaling shapes up and down....it was very complicated. this makes infinitely more sense. I'll let you know how it turns out.

in mid-april, several of our closest friends are coming to spend a few days with me. we're going to have a little bee and do the actual quilting. we'll be using it as a backdrop for all of numbers his friends will be singing/performing at his memorial in may.

thank you

john
    Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 PM

John, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope the quilt that you are finishing gives you great comfort.
    Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 PM
    Power Poster

So Sorry for your loss, and glad that others were able to help
    {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    Please keep us posted on your progress and post pics when you are done with the quilt ! Would love to see it :wink:
    Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Keep working on this, it's obviously important to you. You can do this, the people here who know how are glad to help. Take it one step at a time and if you get lost just ask.
    Sorry for your loss.