Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Please describe your design wall >
  • Please describe your design wall

• Please describe your design wall

Old 02-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Mine is a 4 X 8 styrofoam board covered with cheap flannel. All you do is lay your blocks up there and they stay (usually) OR you can put a pin in it and it will stay for sure!
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM

I use a big flannel sheet with a sleeve sewn in the top if the hem isn't wide enough. I fastened plastic rings or cafe curtain hooks along the top edge at ~24" intervals and slid a piece of 1/2 -3/4" pvc pipe in the sleeve. Since my only decent space for this is in our rec room which has a suspended ceiling, I used hangers designed to hold plants on the metal frame of the ceiling and then hooked the rings on these hooks. Easily put up and taken down.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    I used insulation board like someone here on the board recommended. covered it in batting and it works great! :D
    I also used insulation board. Mine is 4' by 6'. I covered it with inexpensive felt. It holds the blocks just fine and the threads can be rolled right off with a lint roller.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM

I used 2 sheets of purple (1/2" I think)foam insulation board covered with flannel, no batting. I cut the height to 6 feet because that's all I can reach, but after I cut it, I realized the ceiling would hold it. I use big push pins on the edges of the flannel covered foam and double stick tape on the back to keep it on the wall. I love the foam because I can stick pins in it with no worries and the flannel is washable when it gets dirty. I can't imagine how I lived without it.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM

I first use a foam board that WAS 4 FT BY 5 FT FROM FLOWER FACTORY THAT COST 5 or 6 dollars. Then I went and bought the big folding one that is advertised in the Quilt mags. Use both often.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:48 PM

I picked up a cheap felt-backed plastic table cloth at a thrift shop and stapled it onto my wall with the felt side out.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:51 PM

I have a great wall. My sweet DH made me one out of 2 of those cardboard tri-folded cutting boards[with measurements.] Hancocks have them and so does WM. Anyway He made a cheap thin frame and used tiny nails to put the cardboard to one side and then did another one and hinged[3] them together so I can fold it up and move if I want. I had a giant piece of felt and covered both pcs. separate and stapled it on. When I open it up it is really close together. I can have the pins catch on the felt or let it go through into the cardboard. I just love it and it is so big and tall.
    I need it to fold cause I use it on part of wall in my extra bedroom that is very small with a double bed,my machine cabinet,cutting table,tiny dresser,2 stacks of tall plastics drawers,A double cabinet[like a wardrobes] 2 of those stack of those 3 big drawers and as of last nite also a 5 shelf book case. So there is a small space to get around the bed. So this wall works good. My walk in closet is stuffed to the ceiling on 2 sides with shelves of fabrics.And in the wardrobe and now I have a bunch to put on the Bookcase.Oh I have a 3 shelf bookshelf that I moved ti behind the door to make room for the bigger room. The really funny thing is that I have a pretty big room I could have as just a sewing room, but it is full all the way around with craft stuff. Like shelves of rubber stamps,Drawers and drawers of inks,brads,stamping tools punches,ribbons, and too much to mention.Not a bare spot on a wall an almost to the ceiling.Also 2- 8 ft tables to play on. I would have a big sale but don't have the heart. I do make a lot of cards. When I lived I Mi. I sold cards in 3 stores, but not down here. Mainly just in my hubby's Med. Clinic to employees. I don't have any friends that could come play with me since we've moved here. I am home ALL the time. So it is lonesome.And I am into learning to sew now. Sorry I got carried away.Thanks for letting me vent.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sapphire_Rae
    I use a piece of batting, push pinned it to the wall in the living room. Fabric just clings to it. Sometimes I'll put a pin in if needed.
    ditto, I put up a queen-sized cotton batting and love it
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 PM

I use a flannel tablecloth, usually the biggest one I can find, with binder clips and push pins to hold the clips. this way, if I hav a project going and want to use the area, I just take one tablecloth down, roll it up and put up another.
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 PM

I am a cheap one -- just used a flannel backed table cloth costing under $5 I am sure, cut it in half length-wise and threw it over the door to my sewing room. It hangs both sides so I can put individual blocks up to five wide. Sure it does not do a whole quilt but at least I get the idea. Occasionally, I lay another un-cut flannel backed table cloth on the bed to lay my entire quilt out. It is easily rolled up and put to the side when I am done working upon it either daily or when I just plain need to get away from it, as was the case with a One Block Wonder recently. lol