Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Please explain... >
  • Please explain...

• Please explain...

Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 AM

I am very knew to quilting and I just don't understand paper piecing. Wouldn't it be faster just to go straight to the fabric and start cutting instead of cutting paper and then the fabric?
    Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 AM

to get precise points and such Paper piecing is the easier way it does make a mess though!
    Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 AM

some people do cut each shape out first when paper peicing but i do a method called strip paper piecing which is less laborious.
    Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 AM

Go to ehow.com and ask how to paper piece. They have a great tutorial on paper piecing. And why would you cut the paper ?
    Old 03-20-2011, 07:55 AM

why are you cutting the paper. and i just cute my material in strips big enough to cover the area of the paper. is is messy but great for blocks that would otherwise be very tedious that i could never do without the paper
    Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Paper piecing isn't just cutting the paper, you have lines drawn on the paper that direct you to stitch on an exact line. It makes your finished work have very nice detail and looks precise. I personally don't like using paper and instead trace designs onto a thin muslin and then leave it on the back as an added stabilizer. It's never been too thick and I don't have the extra problem of the mess involved with removing the paper pattern when you're done stitching. Paper piecing generally is for patterns that don't play off one another and the lines don't necessarily line up together. That was rather unclear, huh? What I mean is - it's not like stacking and matching seams like putting together squares or triangles. Here's an example from one that I did - a round TUIT. You've heard people say that they'll do something someday - when they get around to it? Well, I handed these out at a church group one time, "Round TUITs", along with a devotion. They were colorful and easy to do with the PP pattern. It's in three sections which are put together matching seams after all the PP is done. Here's a photo and link for the pattern. http://www.paperpanache.com/free/guestpats/atuit.htm

Round "TUITs"
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]172353[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-172348.jpe  
    Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
    Paper piecing isn't just cutting the paper, you have lines drawn on the paper that direct you to stitch on an exact line. It makes your finished work have very nice detail and looks precise. I personally don't like using paper and instead trace designs onto a thin muslin and then leave it on the back as an added stabilizer. It's never been too thick and I don't have the extra problem of the mess involved with removing the paper pattern when you're done stitching. Paper piecing generally is for patterns that don't play off one another and the lines don't necessarily line up together. That was rather unclear, huh? What I mean is - it's not like stacking and matching seams like putting together squares or triangles. Here's an example from one that I did - a round TUIT. You've heard people say that they'll do something someday - when they get around to it? Well, I handed these out at a church group one time, "Round TUITs", along with a devotion. They were colorful and easy to do with the PP pattern. It's in three sections which are put together matching seams after all the PP is done. Here's a photo and link for the pattern.
    Photo and link didn't come through
    Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 AM

Peggy, did you post the photo and link for the round TUITs?
    Old 03-20-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by lynnsim
    Peggy, did you post the photo and link for the round TUITs?
    LOL give me a minute... searching for my pic took me a moment..... sorry I'm so slow :) It's there now
    Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm sorry, Peggy, didn't realize you had just posted. Thanks for sharing that link. It's so cute! I also looked at your blog; I like it.