Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success >
  • Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success

• Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success

Old 06-24-2017, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Re. Quilting Gloves: I actually use cheap garden gloves I got from Costco in a multi-pack. First I air them out to get the rubber chemical smell out. Then I cut the thumb and forefinger out of the gloves (both sides). That leaves plenty of grip for the palm and remaining fingers AND it gives me the freedom to thread needles, or pick up thread without having to take the gloves off every time. Saw that on a Craftsy class by Christina Cameli. (she does this with the grabaroo gloves).
    What a good idea. I never wanted to use the garden gloves because I was sure I would sew them into the quilt. This would solve that problem and give you a lot more control.
    Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 AM

wow! all great info! Just what I need right now. Heading into a hot summer, I'm loving the sponge idea. I really wasn't looking forward to wearing gloves.

And a stretch needle? Gonna give that a try too!
    Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 AM

My way of free motion is to tell myself, "mitten, thumb." The movement can be large or small and rarely do I find that I have to cross over my lines. Everyone understands the mantra!
    Old 06-29-2017, 11:36 AM

1. Dance and wiggle out the stress.
    2. You learned to walk through a process. Don't expect perfection. Your instructor has ?yrs practice, she should be better.
    3. Gloves and sliders improve the ease of moving the quilt. Like the sponge idea.
    4. Start with practicing a printed pattern. Progress to practice on paper. Then to fabric.
    5. Go as fast as is comfortable for you, it's not a race. Like the speed setting idea.
    6. Start with easy pattern.
    7. Size is up to the student.
    8. FREE motion quilting. Keep free. Shake out the stress, dance. Play instramentals.
    9. Posture is important. Have a swan neck. Don't wear your shoulders as earrings. If standing helps, do so.
    10. Large work surface
    11. Use a sharp needle
    12. Being a machine repairman is not in the scope of practice of the instructor. She/he teaches FMQ. Have your machine serviced before class. Work on your machine at home before class. Bring the instruction manual. Everyone in class gets equal attention. If the student wants her personal time with the instructor spent guessing on her machine, then she chooses that to getting personal and professional time learning FMQ. Suggest getting out the manual, check the needle, clean out the shuttle area, rethread. Ask if anyone in the class is willing to help her with her machine.
    12. It's like driving a car. Look to where you're going. Have some kind of plan taylored to your experience level. Review your neighboring work.
    13. Take breaks to stretch, wiggle, refocus.
    14. Review the work. Help the student to critique her own work and decide for herself what is good enough for her.
    15. Contrasting thread so the student can see her practice.
    16. Teach ways to begin and end the stitching line.
    I'll probably think of more.
    Old 06-29-2017, 12:29 PM

I remember someone telling me to practice on a sandwich made with a print on the front that I could 'trace' the designs on with my machine. I took a class with muslin sandwiches to FM on and I found that really intimidating. Like a writer with writer's block facing a blank page.
    Oh and no offense meant, but if an instructor asked classmates if they'd like to help the person with the fouled up machine, I'd feel put on the spot and uncomfortable. Most LQS I go to address this issue in their class policies. Know your machine, know how to use it, have it in working order and bring the manual.
    Thanks for starting this thread. I've picked up some good tips to try.
    Old 07-27-2017, 02:53 AM

Here is the follow up on the program I did on beginner free motion this past Mon. at our guild meeting.

I read out loud the wonderful tips given here on the QB. You are all amazing and added so much information for my program. I wanted to thank you all again for taking time to post all the tips.
    Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 AM

use a slider. That is the thing that helped me the most.
    Old 07-27-2017, 07:58 AM

These are all such good comments. I have been doing FM quilting for some time but always can pick up new advice from others.
    Old 07-27-2017, 02:11 PM
    Power Poster

I have a slider on my machine to make the fabric move more easily. I had a Supreme Slider and ruined it. The Crafty Gemini has a link on her Youtube channel to a teflon one that is super cheap and a lot bigger.
    I love this topic as I'm rather new to FMQ, thanks a lot!
    Old 07-27-2017, 02:12 PM
    Power Poster

Oh- I absolutely must have my Machinger gloves- they make life so much easier!!