Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Please help a dumb husband! :) >
  • Please help a dumb husband! :)

• Please help a dumb husband! :)

Old 04-05-2009, 05:11 PM

:lol: You are adorable....
    My suggestion to you is to get her the best you can effort...Or even better: Give her the money and let her decide....
    She will be grateful to you forever.....
    Good luck
    Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 PM

Interesting that I found this post (no, it wasn't my husband) but I'm curious how this all turned out. My DH was looking at new machines and I kinda shot him down (not intending that to be the result), but I told him that his buying me a machine would be like me buying cruising foot rests for his dear Harley Davidson - lol. Anyways, I'm just wondering how it all turned out?
    Old 10-09-2009, 06:38 AM

I wonder too?

My husband is VERY nosey so any time I want something. instead of just telling him I want ________! I find it online, and save it to my favorites, then I rename it like, I WANT, or GOING TO BUY, SAVE FOR THIS! Which it is still a suprise when he does get me something because even though I know its there I don't know when or if he has looked at it or actually make the purchase. This is also great for gift giving ocasions. He asks me what I want I just tell him to check the usual place! lol
    Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 AM

I like the giftcard and dinner idea.
    Old 10-09-2009, 07:55 AM
    Power Poster

You are so sweet and nice to want to do this for your wife -

But I am with almost everyone else - let your wife pick out what SHE wants - again - the surprise being that you are WILLING!!!!

If possible - and you can manage it - go a step or two above what she is currently doing -

PS - you are NOT dumb - any man smart enough to take advice from women is VERY SMART!!!
    Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 AM

I think a general gift certificate would be better. Make it so it's enough to get a frame, but in case she wants $600 of material (I drooled a little bit just now :)), that should be an option too. I've told my boyfriend before, don't ever buy me anything at a quilt store except for a gift certificate. I look and "love" every fabric I see, but I wouldn't want to actually own a lot of it (or I would like to own it but it would go into my closet for 5 years). And maybe she would rather get a different big expensive quilt toy, so this way she has the option. And definitely let her pick it out, even if you go with the frame. The fun is picking it out yourself :)
    Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM

I too own the Viking Platinum 755Q machine and looked at putting it on a Grace frame. While the 755 is an excellent sewing/piecing machine, the throat size would be too small 8" to place on a frame. Your wife will love it at first, then realize the setup is not going to suit her long term. When quilting a queen or king size quilt on the frame, she'll only have 3" or 4" of space for quilting at the end of the quilt. And unless she has another machine for sewing, she'll really hate moving the machine on and off the frame.

Instead, I purchased a used 9" throat machine (Pfaff GrandQuilter) and frame with stitch regulator for use as a quilting machine only. After using this setup for a few months, I'm already planning to upgrade to an 18" machine.
    Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 AM

I will AMEN the previous writer! LOL ... have started where you are getting ready to move from.
    And, having said all of that, do y'all realize that this thread was started in April? <g> The BIG question is: What was the outcome?
    Catch y'all later <wave>

quote from mytwopals:

Instead, I purchased a used 9" throat machine (Pfaff GrandQuilter) and frame with stitch regulator for use as a quilting machine only. After using this setup for a few months, I'm already planning to upgrade to an 18" machine.
    Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 AM

I would really like to go to a different frame/machine. I have a husqvarna/viking on a inspira frame but the stitching area is very limited. I would shop around before I bought again. If she likes her machine maybe just a set up so she can do free motion quilting easier would be ideal. So I think the card with money toward what she wants would be the best route for both of you.
    Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 AM
    Power Poster

So it was started last April - -