Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >
  • PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

• PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieF
    Originally Posted by rushdoggie
    I like plastic bins or even boxes that you can use like drawers...slide them in and out to get what you want. You can always decorate the outside to make them look pretty.
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I used that approach in my stand up freezer and it really does work. They give you the control you need. Measure so that you can get maybe 2 stacks of fabric in each box.
    OK I was reading the responses, (I have the same problem) So you really keep your fabric in the Freezer?
    Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
    Power Poster

I think she was just saying she likes to store fabric in pull-out drawers similar to the drawers in her freezer.
    Old 05-14-2011, 08:54 PM

OK, thanks, I thought I was missing something! I could just see my husbands face if I started putting my fabric in the freezer too!
    Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 PM

This has been a great thread! I have tried a number of methods (bins, stacking etc), but I think the mini-bolt method (like quilt shops) mentioned here will work best for me.

I do use small see through storage boxes for my projects in progress or in-waiting. Sometimes if I'm not into sewing, I'll cut a project so it will be in kit form later on. I include the fabric with any special notes and place the pattern on top.
    Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 PM

My shelves are very deep. It all depends on how you fold the fabric. I folded mine in such a way that it was long and reached to the back. I could stack a lot of fabric in them and you can too if you fold everything to fit the shelf. Measure the shelf and then determine the size you can fold to fit the shelf. Attached is a picture of my old cabinet. Got new deeper ones now. Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-197212.jpe  
    Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by marytoddliz
    OK, thanks, I thought I was missing something! I could just see my husbands face if I started putting my fabric in the freezer too!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    UPDATE:

One good thing is I'm finding a lot of fabrics I don't want and some treasures I forgot about!
    Onward and upward!!!!!!!!!! Here I go!
    Thanks so much everyone!!!

Sue
    If you find fabric that you don't want sell it on ebay, I love getting fabric I need for a project there!
    Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 PM

I was having a problem with storing all my fabric. Had different sizes of plastic storage boxes (that were too big for the closet & the covers wouldn't stay on & they were all bent) and being too big made them heavy. I just got 12 clear Sterlite ones (56 Qt)(23" X 16 1/4" X 12 3/4") that fit perfectly (after a few hours of figuring what size & how many,the best fit, etc.).I put 2 of those stackable 3 drawer plastic "dressers" on top on each other tucked in the left side of closet and can fit 15 plastic boxes. Need 3 more. And they are not as heavy. Hope this will help. Most closets are the about the same depth.
    Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 PM

I get the transparent plastic closet boxes and sort my fabrics by color into them. I have a shelving unit that has deep shelves, too, and I turn the boxes long way on the shelf and line them up and stack others on top. I can then just pull the boxes by color out when I need them. It works great for me.
    Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 PM
    Google Goddess

ok, we would love to see pictures of your sewing room now since you have been working on it, are you making any progress????

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Hi everyone,
    I think I figured out why I can't get organized. I have a big closet but the shelves are too deep. Does anyone have any help for me??
    I'm really frustrated.
    I'm going to take a pic. Please don't faint!

Thanks,
    Sue

PS. Okay I took pics. I just can't get a system down and end up sewing in the kitchen on my FW.
    That's NOT a solution lol