Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Plz help with quanity >
  • Plz help with quanity

• Plz help with quanity

Old 04-05-2013, 06:24 PM

Default Plz help with quanity

I purchased 6 inch(from point to point) pre-cut hexagon blocks from the fat quarter shop. A friend of has seen the blocks and fell in love with them so I'm thinking quilt for Christmas..she has a king size bed.My question is how many blocks would I need to make the center of a king size quilt? I'm coming up with 1013 this would make it 76x80. it would be used as a coverlet. I thank you all for the help . I just love this board. I've asked many questions and you all have always given me helpful and good advise and I'm so thankful for that. so again THANK YOU ALL.
    God Bless everyone.
    loretta
    Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM

I figure this way - 75" x 80" = 6080" divided by 5.5" = 1105.4 pieces. That would be cutting the pieces 6" with 1/4" seams. Pre-cut pieces would be wonderful to use. You could add a border, then another border with some scattered in it, so you could use more. Of course, you could always cut more out of scrap fabric to make it the size you want.
    Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Ah, that's too many . To use the area formula, you would need to take the area of your finished hexagon. So, leaving out the seam allowances, measure from one flat side to the opposite flat side (say, the top and bottom) to get your DIAMETER. Now measure the length of one of the six sides to get your SIDE. The AREA = 1.5 x DIAMETER x SIDE.

If you're not a math person, it's easier just to mark off the approximate size on the floor (or fold a sheet to the size you want) and start laying them out .
    Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 PM

I love hexagon quilts. Due to the "Y" seams, it can be slow going. If you've ever tired of 1000 squares, 1 at a time.... There are ways to make it more interesting. How about hexagons that multiples of the sizes, say 9, 12, 15, 18" and make the largest ones fussy cut to make a focal point. Or a center medalion of Hex's with a border and another double row of hex's, then an outer border. It doesn't need to be all hex's.
    Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 AM

Toolazy is right! You definitely do not need 1100 blocks! If you could give us the other measurements Toolazy asked for, we can calculate the needed number.

If you were using squares and not hexagons, you'd only need about 250, give or take a few, for a 75"X80" quilt...
    Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 AM
    Power Poster

using my EQ... for an area approx 78x80 and 5.5" finished, i get 368 hexes
    Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 AM
    Gay

I agree with QuiltnNan. The area of the top should be divided by the 'area' of the hexagon, not the 'width', so you should end up with around 368.
    Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Thank you all so much..I really do appreciate your help..SO SO glad my calculation is wrong..I was so over whelmed thinking I had wasted money and just the thought of 1000 pieces to sew gave me chills..I've seen the calculators may have to invest in one if they really work..
    God Bless you all
    Loretta