Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Plz!! Need help with bobbin on longarm >
  • Plz!! Need help with bobbin on longarm

• Plz!! Need help with bobbin on longarm

Old 09-04-2014, 03:12 PM

Default Plz!! Need help with bobbin on longarm

What would cause the bobbin thread to wrap around the bobbin shaft if I'm calling it the right thing.( the shaft you put the bobbin case on). I have an HQ avante. I have checked tensions all good,using glide polyester thread and poly batting by soft and crafty. Changing needle now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you and God Bless
    Loretta
    Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 PM

Are you sure you have put the bobbin in the case correctly?
    Old 09-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Sometimes, the bobbin is not down completely on the post/spindle - then, the thread can wind unevenly, filling the bottom before the top. This results in the finger that disengages the winding mechanism not kicking in soon enough and thread winds beneath the bobbin itself - ask me how I know!
    Even if the bobbin is down as far as it will go, you can get an unevenness to how it winds resulting in thread winding beneath the bobbin.
    The fix is either to adjust the finger so it disengages the winding sooner, or guide the thread for the first little spell of winding so that it fills top, middle and bottom evenly (to start). Once the bobbin is even, it should continue to wind properly.
    If you need more explanation, PM me. I have instructions on how to adjust the bobbin winder for my machine (P3 by Pfaff) that are likely similar.
    That's if your dealer can't help of course, that would be my first call. (It was mine!)
    Old 09-04-2014, 03:35 PM
    Power Poster

Are you absolutely sure you have the correct bobbin in the machine? This problem can be caused by using a bobbin that is not correct for the machine. If the bobbin is the correct one for the machine, examine it closely to make sure it is not distorted. Sometimes even new bobbins are out-of-true. Other causes for a bobbin to become distorted include dropping on the floor, over-loading with thread (especially plastic bobbins), etc.

Googled and found the following that might contain something helpful:
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0080401AAayLMK

Edit: Oh, is this problem occurring when you wind the bobbin? I thought you meant while trying to sew.
    Old 09-04-2014, 04:16 PM

It is while I'm sew. And the bobbins are correct. They came with the machine
    Old 09-04-2014, 05:37 PM
    Power Poster

Sounds like backlash. The bobbin spins a bit too fast, making a loop which wraps around the shaft. It seems to occur more when the bobbin is less than full. I would try bobbin genies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdo_q0M2rsw
    Old 09-04-2014, 06:16 PM

I have an Avante and never had this problem - I would look at all the usual suspects first: bobbin placed counterclockwise in the bobbin holder; re-thread the machine; change the needle - make sure you put the needle in correctly - that Avante allows you to put the needle in any direction - if the needle is not in correctly it will not work correctly- I would check that for sure.
    Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Sounds like backlash. The bobbin spins a bit too fast, making a loop which wraps around the shaft. It seems to occur more when the bobbin is less than full. I would try bobbin genies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdo_q0M2rsw
    that at would be my guess too. If there is a backlash spring in the bobbin case you could adjust it up a little.
    I had that problem on my Sweet Sixteen....
    Old 09-05-2014, 04:42 AM

I use Glide in my bobbins...you have to be sure the bobbin is wound tight enough. Also I use the Bobbin Genies and remove the back lash spring. Hope this helps
    Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 AM

I had major issues with thread spooling off the bobbin on mine, and I am embarrassed to say it was because I didn't have the presser foot down. Realized that after changing tension on bobbin and needle, changing threads on both, trying different fabric and spending about three hours mucking around.