Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • portable project >
  • portable project

• portable project

Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM

DJ CD is a stand alone block program, but If you have EQ, you can import the DJ blocks into EQ. I did. Now, I can use the DJ blocks with the others that I have in EQ to design quilts. Works nicely!
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Walen, wonderful, since I have EQ7....thank you!!

Originally Posted by walen
    DJ CD is a stand alone block program, but If you have EQ, you can import the DJ blocks into EQ. I did. Now, I can use the DJ blocks with the others that I have in EQ to design quilts. Works nicely!
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM

I too always have something with me: for quilting it is frequently the Cathedral Window since it is hand done. Otherwise I also carry knitting or crocheting for meetings and things where I have to "look" interested.
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 PM
    dsj

Yo yo's are perfect and very portable.
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:56 PM

I like to embroider blocks and then put them into quilts. CrabApple Hill patterns are great for this, but any stitchery pattern will work. There are tons of free patterns on the web and cheap on ebay.
    Old 06-25-2010, 03:14 AM

I like the wool applique for travel projects - blanket stitches are easy at a ball game, dr. office on a bus. I do all the prep and baste everything on so I don't lose anything. I have a beautiful zippered (prequilted) small bag that I put everything in to really make it a travel kit.
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sadheart
    Well with the change in flying rules. Most of the handwork has been baned from flights. No scissors, pins, needles, clippers, knit needles (and maybe crochet needles).
    So always take a book. graph paper.
    I work construction, and find myself sitting on site a lot. So take small projects. Crochet, knitting, embroidery, or pieces to pin, or cut.
    Have also done flower-pens. Attaching flowers to pens. Even sold a few dozen to one dispatcher who kept losing all her pens. Ha ha ha
    I fly alot and carry a small zippered pouch containing two scissors, crochet hooks, a small plastic ruler, pins and needles in my project bag. I've never had a problem going through security. (I fly out of the airport that the terrorist flew out of. It is extremely strict. As well as many airports acrossed the country.)

Having said that, I would check with the airport to make sure you can go through security with those things.

I also carry Swedish Weaving projects.
    Old 06-25-2010, 05:59 AM

Redwork (blue, gfreen etc) - WITHOUT A HOOP - all you need is the designed material - needle - thread - and small scissors to cut thread - I take everywhere - planes - boats - doctor's office etc - the owner of my LQS gave class on how to do it without a hoop -

1. iron freezer paper to back of material - material should be about 2 inches larger on each side than the finished block size that you want

2. using light box (or window) trace design onto front of material (any kind, solid moda, marbled whatever, even tone-on-tone) - USE A GEL PEN TO TRACE - traces much smoother and doesn't get caught up in the fabric - use same or similar color to the color thread you will be using

3. remove freezer paper and iron material to smooth and set design

4. cut a piece of Dream Cotton batting- Request weight - the size of your material and spray "glue" it to back of the fabric - spray batting, not material (I use 505 spray) - cheaper batting does not work good since it tends to come thru the material

5. Use Sulky 12 wt thread - does not fray like embroidery floss - use single length of thread - you do not have to use multiple threads as you do with embroidery floss - I have used red, burgundy, black, white, orange, purple, green, variegated, pastels for baby designs, - any color thread and material - whatever suits your design

6. When doing the "redwork" - keep your stitches ONLY ON THE material - DO NOT GO ALL THE WAY THRU THE BATTING - except to start and end - also good way to do redwork since you can "carry" some thread on the back of the batting (short distances ONLY) since it will not show thru the material and "spoil" your design.

7. When finished - trim to the finished sign that you want and you are ready to put into your quilt - or use as a stand-alone piece - your DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE BATTING - it really does not add much weight to the finished quilt.

8. If you love redwork, you will love this method. If you have never tried it - try it - it's addictive! - I have lots of friends who have never done redwork and now do it all the time - it is so easy to take anywhere and put up and down without "losing your place"

9. I feel like I should give credit to the LQS and teacher - Cathy Ruggiero - Candlelite Quilt Shop - Chelmsford, MA - web site is www.candlelitequilts.com
    Old 06-25-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    Grandmothers Flower Garden
    I can take a baggie with some hexagons,thread,needle and scissors and I am ready to go!
    This is what I have to work on too but I hardly touch it in the past year. Need to pick it up.
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM

My portable project is knitting always ready to leave with me in a quilted tote!