Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is it possible to only buy for a particular pattern? >
  • Is it possible to only buy for a particular pattern?

• Is it possible to only buy for a particular pattern?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
    CRH

Well!!! I may have to tender my resignation to this board, because ------

I pretty much only buy fabric for a specific project.

The reason is that most fabric I buy at other times ends up not being right for the quilts I make, so seems like a waste of money.

My vice is in quilting equipment, notions, rulers, scissors, etc. So-- maybe I don't have to resign after all??????????? :lol: :lol:
    Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 PM

What do you win?

Jane in Florida
    Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Wow....I guess I'm an odd duck.....I buy what is on sale and then think what quilt do I want to make so sometimes it sits on the shelf looking pretty...:-).....then I'll see some quilt I think will look good in that one fabric I got on sale....then I have to find fabric to match it....oh what fun....:-)..... and I always buy fat quarters if nothing else in my favorite colors.....yummy...:-)....Oh you girls have seen my sewing room.....:-)....just like Wal Mart....:-)....I'm prepaired for the snow strom and heat....:-).....gotta enough to sew for years....:-)
    Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 PM
    Power Poster

Yep, because that's how I do it. Luckily I have shops really close to me.
    Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 AM

My stash is not as large as some of you ladies and gents, but I am trying!!! Dh just smiles when I bring fabric in the house - he is starting to understand though!! I do think it would be nice to finish a project before starting another one, but then I thnk what fun would that be????? LOL
    Old 05-01-2009, 04:36 AM

At least most of you had a reason to buy fabric. I think I became addicted as a young child at my grandmothers house that was what she always gave me to play with. Fabric for dolls. dollhouse, me , cat , dog, you get the drift. So I have always loved fabric and could spend hours just looking and touching it. My husband and I travel alot and there are several states that remember me. My husband had to buy a small trailor to get us home from Ok because we stayed 3 months and there was a fabric outlet factory 1 block from motel. I kept hiding fabic behind door and chair and under bed till one day my husband said is this room getting smaller are what is all of those bags and boxes under everything. I gave the women at the factory Vidalia Onions shipped from home and boy was it on then. They started making me suprize boxes at 15.00 a piece. When we went to leave the back of the truck was full and he said I am going to have to buy a trailor to get you and this cloth home. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry this was long but I did this about 3 years ago and I am just now trying to get serious about quilting. I made handbags for all of the girls and friends but that was about it. I do have fabric and still love to buy more. CAN YOU SAY ADDICTION. :? :? :?
    Old 05-01-2009, 04:57 AM
    Power Poster

Some of the stories are too funny.... :lol:

I pull the "I'm going to the quilt shop to buy fabric for xxxxx project"...then when we get there about a million other things seem to stick to my hands! My room keeps getting smaller...now DH says that I bug him about a bigger house only because I want to buy more fabric :wink: :wink:
    Old 05-01-2009, 05:53 AM

I love to go to the fabric store too but have been trying to cut back so we have $$'s to send DD to college.... Then DH decided he wanted to come and he keeps adding more and more to the stack! COOL!! Now he says he wants to go to a quilt show with me.... I think the man has gone bonkers! LOL But gotta love em, he's just wanting to keep momma happy. :wink:
    Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM

When I first started quilting I only bought what was needed for a particular pattern but once addicted you tend to buy whatever catches your eye. So now I have a small stash.
    One good way to use your scraps is to cut them into 5 inch squares for which there are many patterns you can use them on. I store them in little bins that I get at the Dollartree store.
    Old 05-01-2009, 08:13 AM
    Banned

Not me.