Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Possible to Sit & Cut Fabric? >
  • Possible to Sit & Cut Fabric?

• Possible to Sit & Cut Fabric?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM

I don't have a dediated workspace/table. So I use the coffee table in my living room. I sit on my couch. I do all my cutting from there and sewing as well. So yes, it is possible.
    Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM

YES!! I have a Martelli Ergo cutter and I sit and cut all the time. I have a cutting table and so sometimes will stand but also just had foot surgery and cannot stand so I have been sitting and cutting just fine!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM
    Banned

Except when I'm cutting long strips that I don't want to fold, I always sit to cut my fabric.
    No problems with the results. I don't think I could stand for 3 hrs under any circumstances - very bum knees.
    Old 05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
    Power Poster

good luck with the suggestions and 3 hours is too long for me too. so take breaks and relax a bit in between cutting.
    Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM

I have a large cutting table that is the perfect height for cutting when standing. When I tire of standing, I pull up the chair I use for reaching items on top shelves of my cabinets. Above the steps on it is a chair seat. Sitting in it makes cutting while sitting so easy. I also use that chair at my ironing board. I find that I am doing more things while sitting. I sit at my cutting table and pin things together for chain piecing. I am so glad I learned to cut while seated!
    Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM

I use my barstool at my cutting table....haven't had any problems with cutting.....but no one is serving me drinks.....next time going to try a different barstool.............
    Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
    I thought everyone sat and cut...I only stand for large cuttings of many layers of fabric
    Huh, and I thought everybody stood and cut. I have never even tried to sit and cut. And with my luck (especially today..was trimming up a block..while I was sitting, and managed to put a good? slice in the side of my finger), I'd probably come up with even wonkier cut fabric.
    Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pattia
    I have a small adjustable table that we bought at someplace like Office Depot or Staples or maybe Costco. I has just enough table top to put a med cutting matt on and comfortably cut while sitting on my couch. I has various levels that the height can be adjusted to. It works great.
    That's what I have. I can adjust the height for what I am doing.
    Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM

My brother built my cutting table and made it a couple of inches higher than standard - it's 38 inches high. That seems to alleviate the back and neck problems because I'm not bending over as far. (My dear brother also built all the cabinets in our house, and all our countertops - kitchen, bath and laundry room - are 38 inches. That's two inches higher than standard and it seems to have helped my back problems.
    Old 05-18-2012, 02:59 PM

I alway stand to do it all.. except the sewing, of course! I think it would be very hard to try to reach, while sitting.. just my opinion... I have a folding table, which I had put on blocks, to raise it... really helps !