Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • postage stamp question >
  • postage stamp question

• postage stamp question

Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
    That's beautiful. How are you going to quilt it? And why did you choose to do a postage stamp quilt? I am astonished at the sight of all the seams meeting! I cut mine with a rotary cutter and had a devil of a time getting 90 degree corners on the pesky little things. I think personally I am better suited to sewing 10 blocks of material or something - but as I am determined to make a watercolor quilt, I am trying to find a method I can do. First I have to learn to cut, then sew, then quilt! I admire your skill.
    I use the English paper pieceing method, where the fabric is wrapped round a 2cm square of paper, and basted in place, then two squares are held right sides together and whip stitched together.

I began it as I had lots of trips to Dublin hospitals by train. The journey is nearly 3 hours each way, and I needed something portable to do. I took a small zip lock bag with a good selection of fabric squares ready cut, plus paper squares, needle, thimble, thread and scissors. In fact I often got that lot in a make up bag!

Now I don't need to go to Dublin very often, so the stamps don't get done very often either, usually when I need a break from other quiltin projects. I will probably quilt it diagonally, but not every square, perhaps every 16 as I have been sewing them. The reason it looks controlled (apart from the blue, that is, is because I put one white and one black square in each group of 16. That tends to even out the wide variety of squares.
    Old 02-05-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaLynn
    Ok. Thanks for the advice. I think I will use it as a sample of the built-in embroidery stitches my machine does and do one stitch down each row and keep it for reference.
    That's a good idea. You're " making lemonade."
    Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 AM

I used to always try to make lemonade when faced with an abundance of "lemons". Now I try to squeeze some in a glass, add some vodka, some ice, drink down and get on with life. However, most of my Baptist friends disapprove of my new philosophy. (I'm southern Baptist, born and bred) But I like it although it is a figerative expression. LOL