Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • potato bag fire! >
  • potato bag fire!

• potato bag fire!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM

My potato bag did the same thing, caught on fire and charred a chunk right out of it. I had made it with Warm&Natural cotton batting. Now the Warm Comapny has a batting called *Warm tater* ... 100% cotton for microwaveable projects. Think others had fires too ?
    Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I just poke holes in the taters and wrap them up in a paper towel, never burned the house down yet........

But if you forget to poke the holes it will blow the door open!!

Billy
    LOL, thanks Billy for that info.
    Once about 30 something years ago I worked in St. Joseph's Professional Bldg. next to the hospital in Houston, Tx and I popped a potato in the microwave and before long the Fire Dept guys came busting through the office trying to find the fire that my potato started. I did not use anything at all with that potato and it really did not catch on fire but it smoked the place out and scared everybody especially me. I guess I thought I needed to cook it for an hour like the regular oven - hahaha I was not familiar with microwave ovens yet and after that it was a long time before I bought one. Gee how times have changed.
    Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 AM

I'd be going back to that class; they owe you a new microwave at the very least and a refund on your class and fees.
    Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Yikes! I've never heard that before. I've actually been thinking of making them for Christmas gifts for everyone. Guess I better put my thinking cap back on!
    Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 AM

I bought one at the quilt quild show made to specs and it caught fire with its first use. Billy is right. A paper towel works well. The potato bag's claim to fame is that it absorbs the steam, so your potato is 'baked' not steamed. A paper towel does the same thing. A paper towel also keeps bread products from getting soggy when reheated for the same reason.

My church group wanted to make potato bags to sell - NOT.
    Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Another thought, we really don't know what is in the sizing and the ink, etc. no way will I "nuke" fabric in a microwave.

Sandy
    Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Is there anyone here that has been using these bags made with the special batting with success and no fires? I am making these for Christmas and would really love to know. It seems that I am getting two different stories about these bags. Need clarification please.
    Old 09-22-2013, 01:58 PM
    Banned

Never understood the reason for these bags. Poke holes in the skin, rub with olive oil (if you like to eat the skin), cook for 6 minutes more or less depending on size, then wrap in aluminum foil for 10 minutes to finish cooking outside if the microwave.
    Old 09-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
    Is there anyone here that has been using these bags made with the special batting with success and no fires? I am making these for Christmas and would really love to know. It seems that I am getting two different stories about these bags. Need clarification please.
    Further back on either the first or second page of this thread, someone posted that they had a fire using the "special" batting that was supposed to be safe. So I guess that answers your question - even the special batting can have issues.

But I do agree with those who say why use these bags in the first place? You don't need them and why risk a fire? I just poke holes in the potatoes (very important or they will explode in your microwave!!), wrap them in wax paper (some folks use paper towels) and microwave. No fires, perfect potatoes, no cloth bag to wash and store. Easy peasy!!
    Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 AM

Are there any updates on this topic? I did find the warm tater batting, and want to make some, but not start fires. Has anyone used this? Thanks!