Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • POWERFUL lightweight iron >
  • POWERFUL lightweight iron

• POWERFUL lightweight iron

Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking
    Bella, how do you like your Continental? I almost ordered one but the short 5 ft. cord stopped me.
    So far I like the dry iron. I use the iron for all applique and fusibles. No holes make the sole plate very easy to clean. The 5ft cord hasn't been a problem for me. It's plugged into a power strip. I don't use it for all my pressing. I have three irons on my ironing big board iron ready to use.
    Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 AM
    Power Poster

I looked at Walmart for a dry iron that was cheap. They did not have any. I need to check out Target. Lots of times I can get stuff there.
    Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 AM

I use a Black and Decker as well. Lightweight and with a longer cord than many other inexpensive models. I always use steam and have had no trouble with that function on this iron.
    Old 09-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Last year I bought a cheapie B&D that I have really liked. However a couple of weeks ago it wouldnt heat up. I knew it had a 2 year warranty so I contacted the company. In order to get a replacement I was told to cut the cord off then send it in with $7.50. I only paid 13.00 for the iron. I figured by the time I packed up the cord, paid postage and add $7.50, it wasnt worth dealing with it. Some warranty! I have been plugging my irons in a power strip and turning them on and off by flipping the switch. Three times I have had problems with irons not heating up. They turn on but dont heat. Once with this B&D and twice with my Reliable. Come to find out I was blowing the irons fuse by doing this. Now I turn the iron off the old fashioned way!
    Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Suzette316
    Since I don't use steam in my iron (I use a spritzer bottle if I want the steam effect), my next iron will be this one:
    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...Dry_Iron/42277
    This is the Continental iron, and while it's a great iron, it is heavy.

I think the Reliable Velocity irons are fairly lightweight, but they are somewhat pricey.
    Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 AM

I got my Continental iron from Amazon for about $40 (no shipping with Prime), but someone on another thread said that she got hers at Home Depot for around $29.
    Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter
    This is the Continental iron, and while it's a great iron, it is heavy.
    Really? On another quilt forum folks there were saying that it was relatively light weight. *sigh*
    Oh well, I really want a dry iron, so I'm going to give it a try anyway. But thanks for the input!! <sigh></sigh>
    Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
    Power Poster

I bought my Continental iron from Amazon for $14.99. It depends on the store and how many they have in stock. I also bought one from alwaysfreeshipping on sale for $19.99. I keep list of all the items I want and the regular sale price and when I find the price under the sale price I buy it. I very rarely pay regular price for anything if I'm not in a hurry to get one. I have an Amazon wish list app and get notices when the price changes.
    Old 09-11-2013, 01:28 PM

I need to get out my grandma's old dry iron. It is from 40 or 50 years ago. I have my little toy iron from 50 years ago too. It still gets really hot. I have coughed up a lot of money for some of those fancy brands and they did not last at all.
    Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM

I love Bonnie Hunter's little vintage Universal travel iron, that she uses on Quilt Cam so I looked on eBay and ordered one.

It was adorable but the first time I used it I scorched the ironing board cover. So "then" I read the directions for the iron and found that my particular model doesn't have a thermostat so when it gets really hot you need to unplug it 0_0 for awhile and then plug it back in again once it gets too cool.