Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • prairie points >
  • prairie points

• prairie points

Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM

Default prairie points

A friend's father made a king-size quilt years ago, but passed away before sandwiching,quilting, binding it. There are prairie points sewn around the top. She asked me to complete it. The prairie points are sewn on the top, facing into the middle of the quilt. Can I sew the binding on top of them, turn the binding to the back and sew the binding and then will the prairie points be facing out in the correct direction. I hope you can understand the question, this feels like a "math" issue to me and I'm having a hard time visualizing it! Thanks!
    Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 AM

I think you've described it correctly. The points are to the center, raw edge on the outside. Sew a binding on next, and stitch it down. pulling the points to the outside. You need a much thinner binding for this, since you'll only see it on the back.
    Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 AM
    Izy

Usually you don't bind when finishing with Prairie Points, you just turn in the raw edge of the backing fabric over the raw seam of the prairie points, slip stitching in place, which flips the points outwards..does that make any sense? I did this on my last quilt in my avatar, I sadly don't have a close up of the back but you may be able to zoom in on this picture
    Attached Thumbnails 20130226_221635-small-.jpg  
    Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

I think Izy is correct that a binding is not necessary if you fold over the backing. However, are you sure the prairie points are meant to face outward? While they "usually" go outward, prairie points can go in either direction, and it's totally your decision.
    Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM

You are correct that I don't actually need a binding, but folding over the backing seems too confusing to me with the prairie points there. This has made me realize that it's really difficult to finish something that someone else has started!! Thanks for the help, everyone.

Izy - your quilt is beautiful!
    Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM
    Izy

Originally Posted by michelleoc
    You are correct that I don't actually need a binding, but folding over the backing seems too confusing to me with the prairie points there. This has made me realize that it's really difficult to finish something that someone else has started!! Thanks for the help, everyone.

Izy - your quilt is beautiful!
    Thank you, but it really is quite simple, as you flip the prairie points outwards, the seam turns inwards and you simply trim the batting level with the seam, and the backing fabric 1/2" bigger, folding the backing in to line up with the seam line and stitch down. I will see if I can find a pictorial tute for you
    Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 AM
    Izy

Here you go...can't beat a good pic tute to see how things are done!

http://canuckquilter.blogspot.co.uk/...oint-edge.html
    Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM
    Power Poster

This is how I did mine. It really isn't hard.
    Old 09-16-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc
    A friend's father made a king-size quilt years ago, but passed away before sandwiching,quilting, binding it. There are prairie points sewn around the top. She asked me to complete it. The prairie points are sewn on the top, facing into the middle of the quilt. Can I sew the binding on top of them, turn the binding to the back and sew the binding and then will the prairie points be facing out in the correct direction. I hope you can understand the question, this feels like a "math" issue to me and I'm having a hard time visualizing it! Thanks!
    Really it would not be binding. A simple row of bias tape sewn on top of the points (loose edge toward the middle) and then turned toward the back is the easier way to do it. Which might be exactly what you are saying.
    Old 09-17-2013, 06:45 AM

I do exactly as Izy says on all the quilts I put prairie points on, and that is not many as I do not like to put them on, but have one customer that wants praiarie points on all her baby quilts she buys from me. As she is a good customer I will do it for her , but charge her more.