Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prayer Shawl Quilt pattern and question >
  • Prayer Shawl Quilt pattern and question

• Prayer Shawl Quilt pattern and question

Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Hi- I've been interested in making a prayer shawl and need to pick your wise brains. The patterns I've come across are for knitting and crocheting, two talents I do not possess. I did see a book advertised for quilted ones and before I take the plunge on that - Are the knitted and crocheted shawls basically a rectangle that are draped across the shoulders? Seems to me that you could use the same dimensions for a quilted one and be as creative as you wanted. What are your thoughts on this?
    Old 01-04-2009, 06:52 PM

Prayer Shawls can be rectangle or triangle, doesn't really matter. They are usually longer than a scarf so it can wrap completely around the front so feel more like a hug.

As far as an actual pattern to follow, sky is the limit. According to "legend" the knitted or crocheted shawl was to have a prayer attached to each stitch for the recipient. You can do the same with a quilt but the prayer would be on each piece of fabric on the quilt.

Hope this helps. Basically if you are making it a quilt you could think of it as a very long table runner.
    Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Bless you crashnquilt :) :) :)
    Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 PM

I saw a book on quilted prayer shawls at Hobby Lobby. I believe the idea is to be in a prayerful attitude while working on the prayer shawls. I don't think the pattern matters as much as the intent.
    Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 PM

I am at present knitting a prayer shawl. I have made two for gifts and, yes, you are to pray for the person that is receiving the shawl as it is made.

I would think that a quilted one would be quite heavy. The ones I have made take 3 skeins of homespun yarn. Also, knitting is very easy.

Do you have a place near you that offers classes in knitting, crocheting, etc? That might be the way to go.
    Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 PM
    bj

I was in the LQS the other day and there was a lady in there buying a Pashmina (sp) shawl that she was going to machine embroider. She said it would be a prayer shawl for her sister.
    Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM

I have the Prayer Shawl Quilts Book, there are 9 patterns in it. Looks like the Leisure Arts Books, but is put out by DRG ,306 East Parr Road, Berne, IN 46711 Telephone 260-589-4000. Also has House of White Birches. All the patterns are nice. I bought mine at A.C.Moore, hope this helps you out.
    Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 PM

I will check when I go tomorrow to see if there are anymore. With a 50%off coupon and my employee discount, I can get most everything dirt cheep!!!
    Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM

I don't think a quilted one would be so heavy, depending on what you make it with. I think it would be of comfort, I know that if I were to receive one it would mean the world to me.

You've given me a wonderful idea for a gift for a dear friend that is going through a tough time, though.

Hugs,
    Sharon
    Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM

I'm thinking that a lightweight quilt might work out very well. I work in a hospital and thought maybe I would make a few to give to our pastoral office. The triangle shape just might be the ticket here. I have taken classes on crocheting to do rugs, but I'm soooo not good at it. My mother tried teaching me to knit and thought about poking me with the needles a few times hahaha..... what an incredible gift though, a physical sign of prayers- there is nothing stronger!