Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pre-cut applique >
  • Pre-cut applique

• Pre-cut applique

Old 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
    Power Poster

you can use one of the pieces as a pattern, trace it onto the paper side of the fusable, line it up on the shape and press- or you could just put a small amount of fusable in the center of the piece (just enough to hold it in place while you stitch it down; or try a fabric glue instead.
    Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 PM

Maybe use roxanne glue baste so you don't have to cut fusible, but you will have to stitch it down
    Old 05-11-2011, 03:37 PM
    Banned

you get one of the teflon sheets. Thread Bear I believe has them. I have some that I cut the fusiable as close to edge of the precut as possible. put it between two sheets of the teflon and iron.
    Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 PM

That was me, but i asked the moderator to remove the ad.
    Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I THOUGHT I seen here in the classified section someone was selling applique cutouts that already had fusible on the back of them. I could be wrong about it, I have spelt since then. But maybe check there to see.
    Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 PM

You could also instead of using fusible on the WHOLE applique just cut little skinn strips and place them on the back and iron them down, you could cut them to fit within the limits of the applique. As long as you are going to stitch around the edge then its not going to matter if the WHOLE thing is stuck down or not!

Originally Posted by Charming
    That was me, but i asked the moderator to remove the ad.
    Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I THOUGHT I seen here in the classified section someone was selling applique cutouts that already had fusible on the back of them. I could be wrong about it, I have spelt since then. But maybe check there to see.
    There was someone else also just read the post today. I'll have to go look again.

ETA: It was CarrieAnne that they were talking about doing them!
    Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
    Banned

I sell die cut appliques and have for year..but I do not fuse mine to the paper backed stuff unless the customer wants it...
    most don't like that "stiff" feel...
    the ones in keepsake have the fusible on them already..so stiff is what you get!

when you do iron them down, you peel the paper off and place the fusible side down on your "washed" fabric! If you do not wash it, it might not stick properly!
    THEN you place a Teflon pressing sheet over it before you put iron on it..this keeps your iron clean should any fusible sneak out where the iron can touch it!

you must then stitch around the applique to keep it permanently in place.
    Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
    Power Poster

I sell them either way, too, with fusible or no fusible. Everyone seems to like it a bit diffrently. I like the fusible, but I have also glued them down with washable glue!
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM

What about putting the pre-cut appliques closely on top of the fusible, putting some sort of protection on top and ironing it down.
    Then when cool, remove from ironing board and cut them all out.

On re-reading this, seems to me that it would make too much work. I believe that I would simply use School glue. I read somewhere that all it is is corn starch, which makes it easy to wash out.
    Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 AM

WOWOW, thank you all for the ideas! The one about taking the fabric applique piece and tracing around it on the fusible paper side..then cutting that out looks like I could do this one for sure!

The reason I wanted the entire cut-out fused was to especially have the fusible right up to and including the edges to prevent fraying. And yes, they do have to be machine stitch around the edge. I usually sew my fusible applique edges using the blanket/buttonhole applique stiching on my machine.

Gonna see about ordering of cut-outs!

Thanks again EVERYONE
    Julie
    Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
    :-) HAs anyone used the pre-cut appliques pices - you can buy them in quilting catalogs.

I would like to buy a pack of pre-cut applique shapes to use on children's giveaway quilts - doing the fusible and machine edge stitching. How do you get the fusible on the pre-cut shape? Usually when you use fusible, the design in penciled onto the paper, fusible then it put on the back of the fabric, when bonded the shape is cut out. How on earth do you do fusible and prec-uts?

Sure would be interested in knowing. would save alot of time, and get multiple print fabrics in the pre-cuts.

Thanks for help
    Julie
    When I sell my precut applique peices they already have fusible on them.