Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pre-Printed Practice Panel >
  • Pre-Printed Practice Panel

• Pre-Printed Practice Panel

Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    Will you describe the panel. If I know the source or design I may be able to give some suggestions. If you don't want to name names, then message me privately. I will give some generic suggestions openly on the board. It is necessary to have a good description to give informed answers.
    Unfortunately, I cannot give the manufacturers name as it was right on the edge and is now covered with binding. But I can tell you it is in pastel colors (pink, blue, lt. green, aqua, yellow). It has six blocks in the center with sashing and 3 borders. All areas have different patterns of fmq, ranging from simple straight line designs to feathers. The fabric itself is a basic cotton, white background with areas of colored prints.

On different note....do the pre-printed wholecloth quilts have lines that will disappear? I love the ones I see in the catalogs, but don't want a repeat mistake!
    Old 11-12-2013, 04:21 PM
    Banned

It is difficult to give an informed answer without knowing some identification of the source. The comments so far appear to be giving all preprints a bad name which is not true. I do know there have been some commercially preprinted panels that were never to be washed out. Your description sounds like it might be one. The printing process does not allow for both colorfast and wash out in the same process. A second run thru would have to be made. So my guess, and it is a guess the quilting lines were permanent contrary to what the shop owner told you. So unless we can identify this product please don't guess the answer which might be incorrect. There are many preprinted products on the market that do wash out. Most of these are because of human error if they don't wash out.

I just received the current Keepsake catalog which has two of the preprinted whole cloth queen size (Page 73). These are printed with wash out ink.

Last edited by Holice; 11-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Old 11-12-2013, 04:31 PM

I got a practice panel and I was told the lines would not wash out. That if I used a nicer fabric for the backing lines would be on the back and you could use it that way.
    Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    It is difficult to give an informed answer without knowing some identification of the source. The comments so far appear to be giving all preprints a bad name which is not true. I do know there have been some commercially preprinted panels that were never to be washed out. Your description sounds like it might be one. The printing process does not allow for both colorfast and wash out in the same process. A second run thru would have to be made. So my guess, and it is a guess the quilting lines were permanent contrary to what the shop owner told you. So unless we can identify this product please don't guess the answer which might be incorrect. There are many preprinted products on the market that do wash out. Most of these are because of human error if they don't wash out.

I just received the current Keepsake catalog which has two of the preprinted whole cloth queen size (Page 73). These are printed with wash out ink.
    Thanks for the info! I pretty much assumed I was stuck with what I had after the second wash and am ok with that. Just wanted to inform everyone else so they wouldn't assume that all of them will wash out. As for the pre-printed wholecloth....I love basting my quilts using glue - will that affect the print in any way? I don't want to mess anything up before I ever get started on one
    Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 PM
    Banned

I don't know about glue. However few years ago there was a case when a quilter basted with spray and reported the lines did not come out. The assumption was that the spray sealed the ink preventing them washing out. I assume the glue might effect the printing the same way but I have no proof.
    Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM

So sorry that happened, but yes, heat sets things (marks, stains, etc) and so I think there's no reversing the damage. However, I would keep it to practice other techniques on--just ignore the lines completely and practice whatever I want on that piece. Learning from practicing will make you feel it wasn't money or time wasted, right?
    Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
    Banned

Heat does not set the wash out preprinted lines. At least those I have tested. The ink is a washable base substance. What might effect it more is being washed with certain detergents with certain chemicals. There is a warning on the package of some brands of the wash out pens warning of this. I assume it would also apply to the preprints.
    Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 AM

Could you take off/cut off the binding then add a layer of flannel or fleece to the printed side. Add a bit more quilting (from the other side) then bind? Lines would be hidden and no one would be the wiser. We won't tell.
    Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 AM

Totally YIKES!!!!!
    Old 11-14-2013, 06:26 AM

I'm not familiar with these panels, and this is not in reference to them, but a reminder for anyone using the fabric sheets for printing photos to add to quilts. The instructions on the packages I have bought and used state NOT to dry clean the completed item and DO NOT use fabric softener either. I'm assuming this messes up the ink on this fabric. However, the instructions tell you to remove the paper backing then use a dry iron to set the ink for the pictures - also wet the pic. afterwards in cold water and lay flat to dry - go figure!