Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pre-Printed Practice Panel >
  • Pre-Printed Practice Panel

• Pre-Printed Practice Panel

Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3
    I got a practice panel and I was told the lines would not wash out. That if I used a nicer fabric for the backing lines would be on the back and you could use it that way.
    That's what I was told. The lines were never intended to come out as this was just a practice piece to help in improving free motion skills but if you use nice fabric as the backing that side could be used as the front for a project.
    Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Consider it cheap tuition for learning to fmq. Cheaper than a class no doubt, and don't stress about it.
    Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM

I read somewhere to do your practice sewing on a quilt sandwich, add a new top over the practice panel, then using your quilting you did the first time, go back over all of the sewing on the back you did the first path. Now you have bee able to practice twice and the panel is not visable.

Last edited by Sheri.a; 11-14-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM

I have some of those practice panels. I was planning to use a bright kid print for the backing, thenbind and donate for a charity quilt. Since the ones I have are all white except for the lines, I thought I might also use some fabric paint to paint over the lines after stitching - or fill them in like a coloring book. Hmmm, our last guild speaker demonstrated using crayola crayons on fabric - might think about that.
    Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM
    Banned

Please folks describe these " practice panels". Not all are equal and the good ones are getting a bad name because all are being grouped together.
    Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM

The ones I have are called "Skillbuilder Panels" by RGA designs. They have 3 different ones plus a companion book.

http://www.rgadesignquilts.com/store...page=page&id=2

They are advertised ad being permenent ink and not to become a finished project. However they quote a suggestion from a reader to"quilting it first with a wash-a-way thread. Then add another fabric over top of the Skillbuilder and quilt it again from the back using the wash-a-way stitching line as the guide. The first stitching would wash away and the Skillbuilder would be on the inside". Sounds like an option. You could also bind the edge and use it over and over for practice if you used wash-away thread!
    Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    I just received the current Keepsake catalog which has two of the preprinted whole cloth queen size (Page 73). These are printed with wash out ink.
    I bought one of those going to practice on my long arm with it for my summer bed quilt then get another one and do it in silk or metallic thread with wool batting. They are stunning

I would imagine though that some panels sold as practice pieces are designed not to wash out so that you can see how you are improving. Am sorry the results didnt come out as expected. Some times the best thing coming out of our work is the learning experience. Hugs!
    Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM

I've purchased two of the panels to practice free motion quilting. The person at the LQS had a great suggestion - to quilt it without thread or to quilt it using water soluble thread so that the panel can be used again - in order to learn the muscle memory for the quilting motifs - rather than just quilting it and moving on.

Cheers, K