Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pre-shrinking Batting >
  • Pre-shrinking Batting

• Pre-shrinking Batting

Old 08-09-2019, 04:30 AM

This is why all of my quilts have poly batts. I like the puffy rather than the crinkly look. Too, puffy may be a little more forgiving of any little "error"??
    Old 08-09-2019, 05:03 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly
    I prewash all my quilts before gifting. I don't want any surprises for the recipient in the wash. All my quilts look like yours. Not only are there no surprises, they are nice and soft. I gift them by explaining that I have already washed it. I'm not a prewasher of fabric or batting.
    this describes me exactly. I love the crinkly look and no one has said my quilts look old. I hope you can figure out how to get the result you are looking for.
    Old 08-09-2019, 06:30 AM

I always pre-shrink my cotton battings. Keep it folded, or fold it when you get it off a roll. Immerse in hot water and squish it up and down to make sure the hot water goes through all layers. I soak for about 30 minutes, draining and refilling tube with hot water as it cools. Drain tub, squish down on batting so most of water is gone. I have sweater drying platform with a mesh that I use to drain it for another hour or so. Put into a net bag and then spin in washer. Dry in dryer is bag is large enough for batting but small enough to not allow unfolding. Lots of trouble, great results.
    Old 09-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Default Update On Preshrinking Batting

I just wanted to share an update on a question I asked a couple of months ago, Pre-shrinking Batting . I'll be basting a quilt this afternoon and decided to try the advice that some of you shared, that of getting the batting damp and then putting it in the dryer with a wet towel. I am using the same batting as last time because I have a roll, Pellon 80/20.

I cut my batting two inches larger on all four sides of the quilt top. I put it in the dryer for about 40 minutes on medium heat ( I generally dry quilts on low, but thought I would dry it this time in a higher heat.) It has a scrim (sp?) and it shrank about four to five inches running along the scrim lines, horizontal. But no shrinkage on the other sides. I thought that was very interesting and explains my uneven amount of shrinking in the quilt posted above. Endless to say, I'm going to be piecing some batting here.
    Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 PM

I wash all my quilts before I gift them because I use so much disappearing glue stick the water turns purple when I wash them and I don't want the recipient to freak out when they wash it the first time.