Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More >
  • PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

• PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
    Power Poster

I saw some at a show once and almost got them, but they were cut with pinking shears and I would have to re-cut, so I let them be.
    Old 02-16-2014, 11:37 AM

If you don't have a large stash pre cuts are easy to use. But I rarely buy them now as I am usually working on more modern designs that have different size-cut needs and pre cuts just don't work.
    Old 02-16-2014, 11:44 AM

I am the queen of Pre-cut purchases - I love, love, love pre-cuts - it makes it so much easier to complete a project - I know all the fabrics will coordinate and I often hear from others - "Wow, you really have an eye for color" Yes, I do (wink, wink) I love jelly rolls, charm packs, mini charm packs, layer cakes, fat quarter bundles. I don't buy hexagons and rarely will I buy honey buns - I always look for sales and check out many sites before I buy - I usually buy Moda, Riley Blake or Robert Kaufman - I've never had a problem with sizes on my precuts - also I do not have an accuquilt cutter or any other cutting device (other than my rotary cutter and ruler) so I like how it saves me time. I have found many free patterns and I have many books using pre-cuts. I don't usually pay full price - so you can find great deals and the fabric is first rate - so I will continue to buy pre-cuts as long as I can.
    Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM

I'm another lover of pre cuts. I like the assortment of fabrics in a precut package and the fact that these fabrics all go together. I use charm packs and jelly rolls; but layer cakes are my favorite. I primarily use Moda pre cuts. I have had a few problems with pre cuts from others; but not enough to stop me from using them.
    Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM

i recently purchased two fat quarter packs and made a mistake. i should have checked out the fabrics on line first, because when i got them home and opened them up they had so much more pink than i could have believed possible given what i could see in the folded stack.

i ended up using them, but i had to be careful to minimize the pink because the person who commissioned the quilt does not especially like that colour.

i do think they are a good way to get a harmonious variety of colours, but i also think i need to be more careful with them in the future.

aileen
    Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 PM

I have purchased pre-cuts, mostly jelly rolls, through e-bay and from www.jellyrollfabric.net I have also purchased from other online quilt shops. I, like others on this post, like the variety of fabrics included. I have made a jelly roll quilt from purples and lavenders. I really like the way it looks with the different fabrics. This one worked out very well. I hope the rest of the jelly rolls I purchased will be as straight and even as these were.
    Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by serenitybygrace
    I have purchased pre-cuts, mostly jelly rolls, through e-bay and from www.jellyrollfabric.net I have also purchased from other online quilt shops. I, like others on this post, like the variety of fabrics included. I have made a jelly roll quilt from purples and lavenders. I really like the way it looks with the different fabrics. This one worked out very well. I hope the rest of the jelly rolls I purchased will be as straight and even as these were.
    I know a few people who purchased here
    2 weeks ago when they were $11.99
    their prices are great.
    Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM

I love the precuts and usually buy the charms or layer cakes. Have figured out the cost and find them to be about the same price as buying yardage. Tried the Joann's and Walmart precuts, found them to be not so accurate. Have not had that problem with other brands. JMHO
    Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 AM

I have "boo-coodles" of 5'' charm squares, but I usually work with yardage. I don't know why I bought so many charm packs, but I do know that I love the variety in them.
    Old 02-17-2014, 04:59 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Co has some great tutorials on making quilts using pre cuts. Gotta love Jenny Doan