Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Preshrinking flannel? >
  • Preshrinking flannel?

• Preshrinking flannel?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Because flannel does shrink more than most other fabrics, I always buy extra in case it shrinks and I end up with not enough length.
    Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 AM
    Power Poster

I think one prewash would be enough, but if you are in doubt, as long as you haven't added the backing yet, I might wash it again in at least warm water. I haven't used flannel for a backing yet, although I was given a small bolt of pink flannel, so I hope to use it in some baby quilts before long, after catching up on other projects that need to be done by Christmas.
    Old 12-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Depends on the flannel, as others have said. I prewash my flannel in hot (probably a no-no, but I do it anyway) and dry on the highest heat. So far no one has complained. Hope it turns out okay for you.
    Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    I always find this to be so funny....many people will insist you have to wash your flannel so many times its not even flannel any more. I've made so many quilts that I didn't pre-wash it at all= and years later they are still just as great as when they were new- if the flannel I buy is single sided, and a looser weave or thin I do *most of the time* pre-wash it===once. if I am using great, heavy, double sided flannel I generally do not pre-wash it unless it is a deeply saturated dyed flannel that might bleed. I do always launder my finished quilts- as soon as the binding is done last step to a completed quilt is laundering - I've never had any problems .... since shrinkage is dependent upon the whole quilt (top, batting, density of quilting along with backing) **sometimes people tend to over complicate things and create a lot more work for themselves then is ever necessary.
    Sew totally agree!! With flannel and all fabrics! I've made more quilts than I can count, never pre-washed anything! I do wash when finished, no problems!
    Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie
    I wash flannel several times before using but for me, it's mostly because of the lint factor.
    I washed 2 bolts of flannel recently before making pj bottoms for the grandchildren. I was amazed that
    I got 2 balls of lint the size of a basketball. Incredible.
    I always wash before using flannel as there can be as much as 7 % shrinkage. That's a lot.
    Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 PM

I always prewash flannel in the hottest water I have and at the hottest dryer setting. I always use flannel on quilt backs. I never seem to have any problem.
    Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM

I love to make my flannel quilts without washing, then when they are finished they shrink up and look as comfy as they are soft
    Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jannie
    I always prewash flannel in the hottest water I have and at the hottest dryer setting. I always use flannel on quilt backs. I never seem to have any problem.
    I meant to also say I only wash it once.
    Old 12-16-2013, 11:25 PM

sigh... I prewashed all the flannel for matt and tims quilts, but forgot with the new flannel for dustin's. (my memory is selective lately) am going to just go for it. some of the top is washed, some not, same for back, and sheet inside is. We will see...........................
    Old 12-17-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by SandySews
    Wonder who makes the best flannel??
    If this is any consolation, I just finished a double/queen size quilt with batiks on top and LQS flannel on the back. I did not preshrink any of the fabric as the batik's were strips. I laundered the
    quilt when I finished it and it came out beautifully. Believe me I was very apprehensive after reading all of the statements about the horrors of not preshrinking flannel. Hopefully, your results will be just fine. Good luck and Merry Christmas. Yolanda Wood River