Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Press n Seal >
  • Press n Seal

• Press n Seal

Old 06-24-2024, 02:53 AM

Crayola ultra fine washable markers are my go to. Highly visible and washes out completely. Also mark half square triangles.
    Old 06-24-2024, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jojk
    I used it on my wedding dress quilt because it can't be washed. Like copycat I used the Frixon pens for marking. My thread was metallic silver so I used the black pen and if there is still some of the plastic left behind, you can't tell.

Yes you have to be careful pulling it up, and yes if you have small sections its difficult but if chalk or other marking wont work its a great alternative.

Also discovered that a hair dryer works just as well for removing Frixon marks if the iron isn't practical (I had wool batting and plastic beads that I was worried about). Dad came up with that idea.
    Thanks for sharing. I hadn't thought of that.

bkay
    Old 06-26-2024, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jojk
    Also discovered that a hair dryer works just as well for removing Frixon marks if the iron isn't practical
    Ooof this made me cringe a bit. Heat doesn't "remove" the ink marks; it just makes it disappear from view. I'm not talking about if your quilt gets cold, the marks will come back. I'm talking about the ink permanently living in the fibers, and the manufacturers of the Frixxion pens stating that those pens are not for use on fabric. I know too many people who have had quilts ruined by those pens, even after exposing to heat, washing, etc.
    Old 06-26-2024, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Ooof this made me cringe a bit. Heat doesn't "remove" the ink marks; it just makes it disappear from view. I'm not talking about if your quilt gets cold, the marks will come back. I'm talking about the ink permanently living in the fibers, and the manufacturers of the Frixxion pens stating that those pens are not for use on fabric. I know too many people who have had quilts ruined by those pens, even after exposing to heat, washing, etc.
    Yeah - I get that. For the most part I only use the pens for cutting lines and other places where I could probably not bother to make it disappear. In this instance, drawing on the PnS and sewing over the lines, any remaining ink (visible or not) is hidden by the thread anyways so if it "comes back" it likely won't be seen.
    Old 06-27-2024, 12:12 PM

Ok but you missed my point. As I said, it's not about whether or not the ink is visible. It's about the ink staying in the threads, and any possible damage that might occur to the fabric because it hasn't washed out and the manufacturer specifically states it's not for use on fabric.
    Anywho. Not trying to be the quilt police, it's *your* quilt. Just trying to make people aware of the risks.
    Old 06-27-2024, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I used a Sharpie to mark my design on Glad press and seal. When I machine quilted the design, the thread picked up the Sharpie colour from the Glad press and seal and it was permanent.
    I had this happen as well I marked with a sharpie as well and the thread was spoiled. I ended up ripping all the quilting out and do free hand quilting - so I would not recommend it