Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pressing seams open...what a PAIN >
  • Pressing seams open...what a PAIN

• Pressing seams open...what a PAIN

Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM

Default Pressing seams open...what a PAIN

I have been trying different block patterns for two twin quilts I need to make. I finally found one that works with the jelly rolls I have and isn't beyond my skill level. The problem is that all the seams need to be pressed open. I find that part of making the block such a pain....literally! I have been setting the seam with the steam iron, then flipping over and pressing seam to one side, then opening up the seam completely and pressing. I keep burning my fingers with the steam, but without the steam, the seam doesn't want to stay open. I know there has to be an easier method to open these 1/4"seams without burning the fingers. Suggestions anyone?
    Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM

I found that opening a bit at one end then curling (lifting) up the seam an inch or so in front of your iron as you sew along it helps a lot. I set the seam then just open it without pressing to one side.
    Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM

What if you used a stylus or something like that to open the seams?
    Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM
    Power Poster

A strip stick can be helpful: http://thestripstick.com/buy_products . Love mine!
    Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 PM
    Power Poster

I press the seam open with a dry iron, turn to right side and spritz on water with a spray bottle. No steam to burn my fingers. Pressing open with your fingernail before pressing helps too.
    Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle
    I press the seam open with a dry iron, turn to right side and spritz on water with a spray bottle. No steam to burn my fingers. Pressing open with your fingernail before pressing helps too.
    ........ or a shot of Best Press.
    Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

I have a blunt pointed cheese spreader. But craft sticks work too! Before I press with the iron, I press with my fingers the first inch or so. If you hold the craft stick against the iron a little it will get warm enough to press the seams open with out burning any fingers. It holds it enough to use the iron. My little niece likes to use the craft sticks as a stiletto when she sews.
    Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 PM

An interesting thing I discovered is my seams were flatter and stayed flatter when I did not set the stitching. I would turn off the steam and not set the seam so you have cold fabric in front of the iron that you can finger press open as you go.
    Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM

You're making things way too hard on yourself. Just set the seam (without steam),
    then open the seam and press (with or without steam). If you steam before opening
    the seams you probably make the seams stick together. No wonder you're fulling frustrated.
    Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Ok folks, here is how I do it. With a bit of limited hand/finger movement I look for easier ways for me to do things. Pressing seams open was difficult for me. Then when I looked in my sewing/quilting closet I noticed a sleeve pressing ham?. No more problems like that for me.

Anyway I have the sleeve ham on the ironing board and place the seam over it and press. The weight of the fabric pulls the seam so it stays open.

For those who don't know them, they are an elongated large stuffed tube like item that is used to press sleeves so there is no crease or seams when you are sewing. JoAnns does sell them. Otherwise they are a sewing item, not a quilting item.