Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prewash thrift store shirts? >
  • Prewash thrift store shirts?

• Prewash thrift store shirts?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
    Getting ready to cut up some thrift store shirts for a quilt and am wondering should I prewash the shirts. Kinda think that I should but wouldn't they have already be washed and shrunk?

Sheila
    I come home from a thrift store---------anything that can be washed gets washed. You just don't know where stuff has been.

If I buy shoes, like the other day, I spray inside them with disinfectatn and set them out on the porch rail until they dry.
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
    Getting ready to cut up some thrift store shirts for a quilt and am wondering should I prewash the shirts. Kinda think that I should but wouldn't they have already be washed and shrunk?

Sheila
    Thrift store stuff goes straight to the washer at my house, and a nice hot dryer.
    exactly!
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 PM

I googled "how to clean thrift store clothing" and found numerous ideas.. the one that seemed best to me was to "use an enzyme cleaner along with your detergent". Others said to use vinegar with the detergent, then rinse the items 5 times! There doesn't seem to be an easy way unless you just wash in hot water and put them in the sun to dry.. hope this helps![/quote]

Putting vinegar into your soapy water is counter-productive. Vinegar kills the suds. HOWEVER, It's an excellent rinse agent, and I keep a gallon on my washer for just that purpose.

And I use the generic Oxy-clean in a wash load from elsewhere. It helps remove smells, too.
    Old 04-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Originally Posted by blossom808
    Yes always wash first. Never know were it has been. Plus who is touching it. Plus you never buy used shoes from thrift stores.
    -----------------
    I do, or would in a heart beat if I could find one single pair that felt good on my feet. After breaking an ankle many years ago, everything, with only ONE exception, hurts after a half hour or so. Lace up cowboy ropers I can walk in for hours and hours. Haven't found any around here just like these, will have to go back to Texas to visit daughters and get another pair. Afraid to order from a catalog, done that and had to send them back.
    I would LOVE to find a pair like this here, and have not to date. And you can bet I've tried everything, from sneakers to high boots, since these aren't cheap.
    I don't worry about used shoes since I figured out I can spray the insides with a disinfectant, like Lysol, and then set them on the porch rail to dry in the sun.
    Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 AM

I always prewash everything. You don't want to bring home bed bugs or the likes, or you won't have time to quilt, just to get rid of them. Yikes.
    Old 04-10-2011, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I prewash almost everything before cutting it.

Minimizes unpleasant surprises later.
    I also wash everything before I use it. I feel better knowing all the germs are washed away before cutting and using the items.
    Old 04-10-2011, 02:27 AM

ALWAYS!
    Old 04-10-2011, 01:18 PM

our thrift stores here always wash the clothing, so they are ready to cut up....plus, they have been laundered many times, so no shrinkage left.
    Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I have a sanitize cycle. Hot, hot water. then I starch, then I dry. I then 'deconstruct' down to the large pieces and cut into charms, 1/4 charms (2 3/4" squares) and 2.5" strips.
    I have just gotten some fabric from my storage locker it had been sort of lost for a time...lol what do you mean by then I starch then I dry??? how do you starch after washing fabric
    Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by frog90
    Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    I have a sanitize cycle. Hot, hot water. then I starch, then I dry. I then 'deconstruct' down to the large pieces and cut into charms, 1/4 charms (2 3/4" squares) and 2.5" strips.
    I have just gotten some fabric from my storage locker it had been sort of lost for a time...lol what do you mean by then I starch then I dry??? how do you starch after washing fabric

Spray starch!

Though I prefer to use Spray Sizing