Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prewound Bobbin Thread >
  • Prewound Bobbin Thread

• Prewound Bobbin Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:39 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    Great to know. I went to metro embroidery and saw it was on sale. Figured this would be the perfect time. Thinking I will get the white and black. I can get 144 of each for $46 after shipping. And when I'm done with the bobbins I can either sell them or PIF on here so that I dont end up with a ton of little plastic bobbins laying around :loL:
    I use pre wounds on my Pfaff sewing machine all the time for both piecing and embroidery. But I use just the 100% cotton ones, I did not care for the polyester ones at all. Plus mine come with little cardstock sides so that you just toss them away and don't have a gross of little plastic bobbins to deal with. They do contain about 3 times the normal about of thread on them that we could normally wind ourselves so one goes along way.

Thanks,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter
    Old 05-19-2011, 12:13 PM

i use them all the time and i'm very happy with them
    Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i use them all the time and i'm very happy with them
    me too :)
    Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 PM
    Banned

I use them all the time. Be careful that you aren't using the prewounds for machine embroidery. The thread on these is a very light weight lingerie thread. I had a really unfortunate experience when I forgot to check what was in my bobbin case before I did my piecing. And, of course, I had an embroidery bobbin in the bobbin case. My seams in completed top actually started to pop apart as I was doing my final press. Bad, bad words fell out of my mouth!!!!
    Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 PM

I believe there are some specifically for embroidery and others that are cotton for quilters and sewers. I use the 100% cotton and have for years. Love the convenience and they have so much more on them than winding your own, so I can sew so much farther without having to change bobbins
    Old 05-19-2011, 02:41 PM

I use the "not full" ones from my quilting when I'm piecing. I've used the plastic and the cardboard ones. I like how thin the thread is for piecing because it helps the seams lay flatter. I toss the empties rather than save them. I tried re-winding them but it's too much of a pain. I have extra bobbins for my machines so no point in saving them really unless someone comes up with some artsy use for them. Then I would gladly save them and pass them on.

They do make cotton prewounds. They are harder to find than the poly ones, though.
    Old 05-19-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    Are these ok to use when piecing? I am buying a box of them for my embroidery machine, but was wondering if they could be used while piecing also. Thanks for anyone who can help me...
    If they are cotton or poly cotton - you can piece with them. If they are nylon, they are too weak for piecing and are meant for embroidery only.
    Old 05-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
    I believe there are some specifically for embroidery and others that are cotton for quilters and sewers. I use the 100% cotton and have for years. Love the convenience and they have so much more on them than winding your own, so I can sew so much farther without having to change bobbins
    I'm with you. I love that I can sew for ages without putting in a new bobbin. A friend got me started using them and I also just toss the bobbin when it's done.
    Old 05-20-2011, 02:43 AM

i use the janome prewound bobbins, i get them at the sew and vac shop. i totally love them!
    Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 AM

I use Robison-Anton pre-wound polyester bobbins and they're perfect for embroidery. I can do a whole design and not have to worry about the bobbin. Love them