Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prewound bobbins thread? >
  • Prewound bobbins thread?

• Prewound bobbins thread?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va
    I ordered the Microwave Potato Baking bag supplies from Keepsake Quilting. I made the micorwave baking potato bags for Christmas gifts. The potato fabric was so cute. I used the correct batting and cotton thread. The bags all burned up in the microwaves. I was so embrassed. I contacted the company and they said there had been no other problems. I got the sewing machine, that I used for the project, out today. I think it may have had a prewound bobbin on it... do you think that could have caused my bags to burn?? I could not find anything on the package of prewound bobbins to indicate what kind of thread is on them. I really like those bobbins. What do think of using them for quilting? I use them for embroidery.

I use the pre wound bobbins all the time for all my sewing needs. I have used them on the microwave bags that you fill with either corn or rice to heat and use on sore muscles and I have never had any problems with them in the microwave so I don't think the bobbin was the problem. I use both cotton and poly bobbins.

Thanks,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter
    Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Wrote to the Keepsake Quilting president. He responded that I was the only one that had a problem. Everyone I made burned. Did you include anyway for your customers to get in touch with you? I tried the first one I made before sending the others to friends. It was only after the 2nd use it burnded - interesting. . .
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 PM

yes, I tried it with a dry potato and wrapped in a paper towel. Still cannot understand what happened. I even tried to make another one to be sure and it burned.
    Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM

Could it be that they were simply left in the microwave too long??I read that they should not be left for more than I think it was three minutes at a time and then allowed to cool and then put back in for additional time if needed. Don't know how true it is.
    Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 PM

Maybe, the directions did not say 3 it was 5 mins. I still have a new pkg. of "warm tater batting" I will try it again with cotton bobbin to make sure. Of course this will have to be when DH is not around. He would be very upset if I had another burn in the micro, I'll keep you posted.
    Just love a mystery!