Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Price of Fabric. >
  • Price of Fabric.

• Price of Fabric.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 PM

Peachrose and I went on a shop hop in NW Ohio. We both noticed that the price of fabrics in the 4 shops did not seem any higher than earlier this year. Most fabric was $8-9/yd with some as low as $5.00. There was only a few bolts marked $11/yd. A shop owner did say that she noticed that the price of fabric has gone up but we did not see it in the stores that we went to. Maybe all the worry was for nothing! Let's hope so. Also A flyer I got in the mail advertised that fabric is back in Walmart. Also it looked like they are bring back more crafts. Good news for us!!!!!!!
    Old 09-14-2011, 06:28 PM

You were lucky. The local quilt shops here say the fabric will be going up to $12- $15 a yard. So you better buy at a low price while you can.
    Originally Posted by bigsister63
    Peachrose and I went on a shop hop in NW Ohio. We both noticed that the price of fabrics in the 4 shops did not seem any higher than earlier this year. Most fabric was $8-9/yd with some as low as $5.00. There was only a few bolts marked $11/yd. A shop owner did say that she noticed that the price of fabric has gone up but we did not see it in the stores that we went to. Maybe all the worry was for nothing! Let's hope so. Also A flyer I got in the mail advertised that fabric is back in Walmart. Also it looked like they are bring back more crafts. Good news for us!!!!!!!
    Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Lucky you. My LQS has raised the price of fabric twice this year in response to the price of cotton and gas. The owner told me the fabric companies have warned of another round of price increases soon.
    Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    where at in NW Ohio?

I'm just north of your border in Michigan....I emailed our local Walmart (Adrian, MI) to see if they planned to get the bolts of fabric back, but they haven't replied.

I'm going to be going down to Archebold OH to see LyndaOH and she is gonna hand deliver my PIF Singer to me...and then we are gonna do a little shopping in the village store. It will be my first time going down there.
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 PM

Count yourself as lucky! One of the LQS near me hit $12.50 per yard in February.
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM

I just bought fabric at our LQS and they were all $11.50 or more per yard. Had to buy for a class I am taking and spent almost $200.00. That was just for the fabric-it did not include the pattern, plastic templete or class fee. If I had totalled it up first I wouldn't have boughten all the fabrics there.

Kat
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
    Power Poster

The price of cotton has come down but as it is was gas, the prices go UP fast and come down very slowly. Out her in CA, JAF is selling cotton fabric for almost $10. LQS are selling fabric from $9 to $12. Fortunately, I have a very fat stash !!! :)
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM

You are fortunate to have hit shops that have not seen the spike in prices like many of us have. Walking into our local LQS a year ago, I paid 8.95, some even 7.50 a yard. Now, it is 11.00 and 11.50. Bolts that were 8.95 have also been marked up. Which I can understand to a point. I worked in Retail, so I know how the pricing works. I will still frequent the LQS as I appreciate the great quality of fabric versus the thinner fabric I can find at the bigger retailers.
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM

My stash is where I plan to shop from for awhile. Maybe I can wait out the price increases...and the prices will come back down..I hear people saying some of the LQS are folding under. A lot of people (myself included) just can't afford those high prices. I have a large stash and several UFO's to keep me busy..happy stitchin' to all...crafty_linda_b
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

All commodities have risen, including cotton. So you know that will affect the price of fabric.