Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prices on cabinets? >
  • Prices on cabinets?

• Prices on cabinets?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
    Banned

My family is considering moving, and what I would like to know is: How much would it cost to get custom cabinets(or just cabinets) wall to wall? How hard/easy are they to make/buy?
    Thanks
    Emily
    Old 11-04-2008, 12:28 PM

My cabinets came from IKEA (http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/4493.page) and I think they were just under $200/each with the glass doors. I know the solid doors are cheaper. My friend got nice solid door cabinets at Walmart, and seems like they were about $100 or less, not sure. Mine were pretty simple to put together - they had reasonable instructions! Target also carries some furniture too, as do the warehouse type places like Costco & Sams Club. And the ones without doors are less $$ too, but since I have a cat, I thought the doors might help keep the cat hair out :wink: (Plus, I keep the door to the room closed too...)
    You might check around at thrift stores for bookcases too - they are always finding cool stuff there on those decorating shows! If you, or someone you know is a bit handy, maybe they could add doors to a regular bookcase if you wanted.
    :D
    Old 11-04-2008, 12:45 PM

In some areas, Habitat for Humanity has stores where you can get cabinetry at reduced prices.
    Old 11-04-2008, 01:37 PM
    Banned

Thank you so much zyxquilts! (I hope I got your usename right) I hadn't even thought about that. There is a thrift store my family goes to a lot, and they have bookcases etc for pretty cheap. Thanks so much!!!!
    And, moonpi there aren't really any habitat for humanity near where I near, but thanks anyway!
    Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter101
    Thank you so much zyxquilts! (I hope I got your usename right) I hadn't even thought about that. There is a thrift store my family goes to a lot, and they have bookcases etc for pretty cheap. Thanks so much!!!!
    And, moonpi there aren't really any habitat for humanity near where I near, but thanks anyway!
    You're welcome! And yes, you got it right...or you can call me Sue if that's easier :wink:
    Old 11-04-2008, 02:41 PM

If you are looking at custom cabinets, the specie of wood makes a HUGE difference. you can literally spend thousands--no kidding....

My brother is a woodworker and makes them all of the time. For his mongo giagantic kitchen, I know he spent about $11K making his cabinets himself. Now, I should add, they even have a special cabinet where the mixer pops up by itself......

It's whatever you want to spend........ :roll: I just hide dishes in there :wink: