Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prices going up. Ouch! >
  • Prices going up. Ouch!

• Prices going up. Ouch!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM

I just found a new on line supplier called suzzettsfabric.com. I was a little hesitant ordering, but her prices were wonderful and she takes paypal as well as credit cards, so I know paypal stands behind your payment and they would not do business with a bad vendor.
    Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Learner747
    Was at JoAnn's today and found great sale prices. Also found quilting fabric priced at $9.99. Some friends from Texas told me last summer that because of the drought the cotton crop was lost and prices would increase. Will you pay this or more?
    I am a hand dyer and the cotton I used to buy in bulk for $1.99 a yard to dye is now $4.00-$5.00 yard. The other reason is that China and India are draining the world's resources as they come online in their development. Also, some fabric is manufactured in China where the demand is higher. Higher demand=higher prices. Don't look for this to change for at least a couple of years.
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM

NO NO NO Absolutely NOT
    :thumbdown:
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 AM

I cant pay that. Hancocks has a lot of great batiks for $6.00 a yard including quit a few of Mckenna Ryan
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM

You can also check out the fabshophop where they have a big list of online stores. Just look for sales. You can still get quality fabrics online for $5.00 or less.
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 AM

If I REALLY love a print I will spend the money and buy what I want. But I shop around first. I'm a stay at home Mom on a budget, and our family has definitely been effected by the poor economy. We are struggling this year for the first time in about ten years, and I will definitely be pinching my pennies more than I have in the past. I haven't much choice but to buy on sale and lower priced fabrics these days. But you know, on a positive note, fabric quality has increased in recent years and you can get a lot of good material for a low price.
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by quilts4charity
    NO, I only buy on sale or with coupon....I give away all of what I do so it's too pricey to pay that much, may even have to cut back on what I do it's getting so expensive.
    me too-and I agree that some times charity begins at home. I will not break myself to make for others. Been there-done that
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM

If we don't, then it will go away again. I work with their fabrics for the Million Pillowcases and take a week to make a whole batch. I figure they will get dirty, get washed often and look bad in about 6 months and actually, they turn out quite soft once they are washed. $9.99 a yard fabric wouldn't be appreciated in this instance, so Walmart is the place I go.

Going online and seeing their fabric prices is a real treat for me. I don't know how they can keep Moda and other brands I love so low. Ebay for my charm packs is also great.

Originally Posted by Wall Warmer
    If this group is basically responsible for getting fabric back in the Wal Mart stores, perhaps we should shop there when we can.
    Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Did you know there are thousands of Canadian quilters to whom $12 a meter is a bargain? Most LQS are at $18 or more! Count yourselves lucky and stop grumbling! If we shop online, we have duty, postage and exchange costs as well; we still quilt prolifically.
    Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 AM

Time to use the stash for all its worth....Have fabric from my mother and she has been gone almost 20 years.....but I dive into my stash as much as possible just because of the prices....maybe getting a yard here or there....we need to re-cycle, re use, share, pay it forward.....whatever....so the craft continues to grown even in these hard times....