Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prices going up. Ouch! >
  • Prices going up. Ouch!

• Prices going up. Ouch!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Mary M
    I have seen fabric that used to be $8.99, at Jo Anns, now $12.99 a yard. I think it was the Legacy Studios fsbric. Legacy Studios has put out some nice fabric but at that price I will pass. Three dollars a yard more, for a yard, seems out of line.
    Well, you *know* that Joann Fabrics plays games with their prices. They mark it up because they know you are going to use a coupon on it.

A couple of years ago they had fabric that I knew had a wholesale price of $3.50, and their sticker had $9.99 / yard on it.

You can do the math for yourself...

I think that most LQSs don't play these games.
    Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
    Did you know there are thousands of Canadian quilters to whom $12 a meter is a bargain? Most LQS are at $18 or more! Count yourselves lucky and stop grumbling! If we shop online, we have duty, postage and exchange costs as well; we still quilt prolifically.
    Don't Canadians have most of their healthcare paid for though? When you have to pay $600 a month for health insurance and only make $40,000 a year for a family of five, $10 a yard starts to sound pretty expensive! No matter where you live, when cotton prices go up, you pay. Sometimes it's just in a roundabout way. ;)
    Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 AM

we pay 600.00 a month for just two of us.
    Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
    Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
    Did you know there are thousands of Canadian quilters to whom $12 a meter is a bargain? Most LQS are at $18 or more! Count yourselves lucky and stop grumbling! If we shop online, we have duty, postage and exchange costs as well; we still quilt prolifically.
    Don't Canadians have most of their healthcare paid for though? When you have to pay $600 a month for health insurance and only make $40,000 a year for a family of five, $10 a yard starts to sound pretty expensive! No matter where you live, when cotton prices go up, you pay. Sometimes it's just in a roundabout way. ;)
    Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 AM

I read an article just this past week or so saying cotton will be coming down in price, as will fabric as the cotton crop was quite viable to assure lower prices; now I know that contradicts what the lady in Texas said, but this might have been a report from another part of the country- but no, unless it would be a special quilt that I felt I had to make for a family member - I would not pay over $10 a yard for the fabric! I will use up my whole stash before paying that price.
    Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM

The price of everything is on the upswing, not just cotton. Here in our area of TX, the cotton crop is very sparse, some farmers have already plowed it under...others are getting one module per area that produced 4 last year....if they are lucky. Less than 20 miles away, beautiful crops...they got more rain...so, the crop is bad this year (remember Japan lost most of theirs this year)..But, I think t here is ample supply from years past...next year...if we continue with this drout...then prices will go up. If they are up now...it's the manufacturer's of the fabrics trying to determine what they will be in for next year.

Peanut butter...that will go way up...our growers got hit hard this year...ugly crop...that's not a fluke... we knew it before it was ever mentioned. We don't farm...but we live in a farming area...and we feel for the farmers here.

Back to cotton... Sparse cotton crop...lowers the income for the farmers, the harvesters, the trucks that transport to the gin, the gin workers, and our local shops & stores...no money to spend this year.

We are on a fixed income...so, we will be ok...but those farmers around us...going to be a tough year...praying next year will be better. So glad our lives aren't dependant on our next crop...I have two very brown thumbs!

Originally Posted by jad1044
    I read an article just this past week or so saying cotton will be coming down in price, as will fabric as the cotton crop was quite viable to assure lower prices; now I know that contradicts what the lady in Texas said, but this might have been a report from another part of the country- but no, unless it would be a special quilt that I felt I had to make for a family member - I would not pay over $10 a yard for the fabric! I will use up my whole stash before paying that price.
    Old 10-21-2011, 11:04 AM

this week was the first time I had bought fabric in over a year my stash is so big I will never use it all but I just love all the new styles and it just about kills me not to spend any money but if I do its only good quality because I want it to last and not shred since I have had that experience with Walmart fabric I know I am a fabric snob!
    Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM

It's happening ladies ! I was at a LQS this week and they had their newer FQs at 3.50 - that comes out to $14 yd !! The rest of the FQs had been RAISED to $3.00. That is just WRONG - those FQs were at least 1-2 yrs old or more ! All their new fabrics were $11 - 12 yd.

Good thing we have our stashes !! :roll: :roll:
    Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM

I've noticed the same thing and, no, won't pay those prices anymore unless I have a coupon for Joanns.

I am fortunate to have a LQS that offers 25% off any yardage 1/2 yard or more which makes her shop very inviting. And she always has nice fabrics.

If I buy online, I typically use fabric.com and try to watch for sales. Their fabric is quality and can usually find some good sales with their coupons.

We have a new quilt shop in the area and was shocked when I made my first purchase (don't usually look at the prices but will now). $10.99 / yard - YIKES!! So, although I like this new shop, her fabric is not in my budget....unless I'm desperate for a specific fabric.
    Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Retired GI Jo
    I've also heard that cotton prices are up because of the drought last year, and I can understand that, but I haven't seen a lot of fabric made in the USA. I used to buy lots of fabric from JoAnn's, but the last couple of times I was there, all of the bolts that I pulled were very thin and made in China.

I also buy in a variety of places: thrift, Ad Bulletin (local paper free to call ins), and Connecting Threads has a great section of clearance fabric at 31-50% off. My stash is more than adequate, so I'm not too worried, but I do feel sorry for those beginning quilters.

Joyce
    Cotton prices ARE up, yes, droughts in the US ... but mostly due to FLOODS in Pakistan and India, that's where the majority of cotton comes from today. Very little fabric is manufactured in the US now, virtually NO quilting or sewing fabrics that I know of. Most quilting fabrics are manuf. in China and Korea. A sad statement and one that is likely never to reverse ... :(
    Old 10-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Try Thousands of Bolts.....name brand fabric from $4.50 to $5.50....comes priority mail and you will have it in 2 days. Never had a problem with any of it.