Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Prices in your Area >
  • Prices in your Area

• Prices in your Area

Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Great idea. Thanks.
    Old 02-24-2010, 01:45 PM

You could tell her that you will let her do the sewing and you will just do the embroidery. I do some embroidery and charge $1 per 1,000 stitches (unless I have to digitize something, then the price goes up). but start off at $5 or $6 just to cover the expense of having to buy a particular color of thread. If they're asking for several of them, charge the $5 once, then just charge per stitch. People are amazed that a simple letter (although large) can be 27,000 stitches and and hour plus just to stitch out. But you also have to factor in your stablizer, which can get pricy.
    Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 PM
    Power Poster

I just wouldn't do it. The recipients are not going to understand the reality of costs and will think you are over-charging.
    Old 02-24-2010, 02:36 PM

The problem is people here in the US are so used to sweat-shop labor pricing. Yes, you can buy a t-shirt for $5 here, but would you really make one by hand to sell at that price? No way. Of course over seas where laborers are treated horribly, live in sewers and are paid a few cents an hour a $5 t-shirt is a huge amount. So, sure she can get anything "cheap" but not USA made, and not made by hand. It's the same mentality of always wanting the cheapest price and not wanting quality. Let her think your over-charging. She can find someone else dumb enough to work for $1 or less an hour.
    Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 PM

I can't imagine how you could offend her by explaining that the price she desires only pays for a FQ from ebay. All the other costs are being borne by you and your time is not being compensated at all. So not only are you losing money but she is saying that your time has no value. If she can't understand that, I would not do it.
    Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Rachel, you've read up on the cost of stitches I see. The lady who wants to get these done for the people in her Senior Class is the one who wants something for nothing. These people she's doing it for may not want them, so I'll let her get the orders for me. Why go there and maybe waste time I could be making a charity quilt, or doing work for a paying customer? She's the one talking this up, not me. I have a good reputation from all my regular customers. Most of my orders have been word-of-mouth or Business cards I sit in a holder at the local town drug store. My Teacher customers & customers who travel out of this area never question my price(s). It's my fault that I let one person get on my last nerve, but I was taught that if you want quality you pay for it. Quantity can be thrown together, but I learned in the Old School by both my Grandmothers, my Aunts & my Home Economics Teacher in High School.