Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pricing a quilt >
  • Pricing a quilt

• Pricing a quilt

Old 03-16-2015, 06:41 PM

When I wore a younger man's clothes (Thanks Billy Joel), I went to photography school for two years. Why? Because I wanted to learn as much about professional photography as I could, not because I wanted to become a professional photographer. The thought of making 200 prints of Aunt Jessie's 45th wedding anniversary would drive me up a tree. So I take photographs and have taken photographs for the love of photography. Because I want to make art. Because I want to leave something for my daughters to have and see and know... Dad did that. Same with Quilting. I quilt for the love of the art. The thought of cutting my 234th Log cabin quilt because I can actually make a profit on it would drive me bonkers. The bottom line is simple... If you get a quilt from me, you are loved. I have shared something of myself more personal than breathing. I have shared my love of a beautiful art form for you to use, look at, cherish, and keep.
    Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 PM

I would gramma since it is an oversized king then I would charge 1,200 and see what she says.
    Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 PM

I am going to be the odd man out but while I agree with the "we are underselling ourselves" idea, the truth is, "Not everyone is "sew worth it"". Just because you sew doesn't make you a master. Some people are actually only worth $2/hour. It takes a lot of practice to actually be worth anything when it comes to sewing.

So, just like a painting costs the painter all the supplies, etc, it doesn't mean I want to pay big bucks for a painting that the elephant at the Wichita Zoo made--but I will pay plenty for something that speaks to me, that I think took skill, and that is well done.

So, while I appreciate the thought--it simply isn't true that "we are all so worth it". We aren't all worth the same. A GOOD seamstress/quilter/artist is worth much MUCH more than a mediocre/average one.
    Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 AM

Ever price/buy custom window treatments or blinds? Not a cheap date but so worth the price vs. wallyworld pegged offerings. (As I admire my Windows by Wallyworld! LOL)

i often wonder if a lot of us have a pile of completed quilts that could be offered for sale vs. starting from scratch per a specific request? Priced accordingly....time, talent treasure. I, too, am not interested in constructing a custom quilt. I suggest shops that sell their samples.

Kingsize? No way!
    Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 03-17-2015 at 03:10 AM.
    Old 03-17-2015, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    it simply isn't true that "we are all so worth it". We aren't all worth the same. A GOOD seamstress/quilter/artist is worth much MUCH more than a mediocre/average one.
    I understand what you're saying, but I think you're misconstruing Sam Hunter's point a bit. She never said "we are all so worth it". She said "we are so worth it". And she never said we are worth the same. If you look at the worksheets, there is a place to set your own rate. If you want to set it at $2/hr, that is your prerogative.

I totally agree with you about skill levels. I know I'd much rather hire a skilled, experienced mechanic or plumber or carpenter than a new, inexperienced one. I think about all the quilting classes, lectures, quilt shows, guild speakers, quilt challenges, charity quilt days, etc. that I've been involved in. I consider all of that "education" even if most of it is fun, because I learn something new with every activity! Not to mention my skill level and abilities getting better with every quilt I make, especially if I challenge myself to a new technique or style. "Education" is something I don't think many quilters take into consideration. How many times have you shown off a finished project to oooh's and ahhh's, and the comment was made that they could never sew something so beautiful? That's the truth - they don't have the skills, nor do they want to bother to take the time to learn those skills.

My larger point is, don't sell yourself short. We as women have such an annoying tendency to talk ourselves down instead of up. We're not pretty, we're too fat or too short or too skinny, we're dumb. Whatever negativity goes on in our heads about quilt making ("anyone can do this, this isn't that special, I'm nowhere near as good as Mrs. XYZ quilter") is what Sam's trying to change with her WASWI campaign.
    Old 03-17-2015, 07:53 AM

What quilters need to realize is that putting a "price" on their time is part of the process when charging for a quilt. There are no "quickie" quilts!! Have you ever actually timed yourself when you make a quilt? Do you realize how many hours it takes? When I did this for the first time I was absolutely, positively blown away. Yes, it's easy to say "awww, it was nothing". But it WAS something! It took me 26 hours to make my last quilt, from start to finish.Twenty-six hours. $26 x minimum wage is quite a bit, and my skills are worth a whole lot more than minimum wage. I'm cheating myself, devaluing my skills and depreciating the worth of other quilters who are trying to make a living selling their quilts at a fair, honest price if I tell someone to buy the fabric and not charge them (or only minimally charge) for my time. Plus, this reinforces the "something for nothing" attitude of buyers. I'm WORTH the money, and if they don't want to pay me, that's just fine. Go to the big box store. It won't break my heart.

Timing myself was the best thing I've ever done, and I challenge you to do it, too. It made me realize that I will only make a quilt for the amount I feel is fair. Period. You know what? I'm not an award-winning quilter with zillions of prizes and accolades. But that doesn't make me any LESS of a professional. And the person who buys that quilt will appreciate quality and workmanship. It also made me realize that I won't be gifting quilts to just anyone anymore. They will only go to friends and family I know will use and cherish them forever.
    Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 AM

Sorry, hit post too quickly and didn't get back to it in time to finish: My advice - don't undercharge if this is your first time quilting for someone. Time yourself. Figure out what you're worth, and charge accordingly. Otherwise, you will forever be stuck undercharging, as that is what people will expect of you.
    Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM
    Power Poster

I found a sure fire way to get those people to either put up or shut up. I say meet me at the quilt shop and we will pick out the fabric for your quilt. If they go, and estimating in their heads the price per yard, the cost of thread, backing fabric, batting, and pattern PLUS my 3 1/2 times the total cost for my labor they will always say it's too overwhelming for me to choose, I'll have to think about it. I have never had someone 'get back to me' after doing this. LOL.

Oh, 3 1/2 times cost of supplies is the minimum labor cost for any person charging for a job.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-17-2015 at 08:44 AM.
    Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I understand what you're saying, but I think you're misconstruing Sam Hunter's point a bit. She never said "we are all so worth it". She said "we are so worth it". And she never said we are worth the same. If you look at the worksheets, there is a place to set your own rate. If you want to set it at $2/hr, that is your prerogative.

I totally agree with you about skill levels. I know I'd much rather hire a skilled, experienced mechanic or plumber or carpenter than a new, inexperienced one.
    In this world there are always going to be people who "undersell" the other ones. In the states, the Mexicans and other immigrants will work for wages that regular Americans won't. In Poland (where I am) the Ukrainians and Russians will pick strawberries CHEAPly--where you won't find Poles willing to work so cheaply.

So, while I understand that she wants us to realize what we are worth (and charge more), the truth is, in any set of work or skill sets, the newcomers, or the ones who are "most hungry" will work for less--and it is normal for that to happen. It's what happens in a global economy.

But I've seen tops for sale that I think are really only worth what they are asking (not very much), or actually, ones I wouldn't want at any price.

My only problem with her post was that she said that be selling for less, we are devaluing everyone's work. Here is where I am not sure I agree. A painting by the elephant at the zoo and a painting by ...you name a popular modern painter right now) aren't worth the same. If they sell the painting by the elephant for $25 (which they did a few years ago in the Wichita zoo's tourist shop--which ended up looking like modern art to me, BTW), they are not devaluing a "good (modern artist) painter's" work--they are selling an elephant's work. Josephina Ebayer selling tops cheaply, IMO, doesn't hurt me, who may hope to sell specifically beautiful tops or quilts. if it does, so be it--that's life in capitalism.

I have a friend who works with wood. He said that he makes these really pretty wooden fountain pens--but they are so expensive because of the time involved, that he really doesn't sell many, but they make great gifts! So, from the sounds of it, people who work with textiles aren't the only ones who can't get what they are really worth.

I don't know the answer, but I think that very few people can actually "make a living" making quilts--or handicrafts of any kind. Maybe lots of people would like to, but very, very few can. Very few painters make a living selling paintings, as well. Also, actors--don't a lot of them work as waiters and waittresses waiting for their "time" to come? It just works that way in the arts.
    Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 AM
    Power Poster

We pay our plumbers, carpenters, mechanics $50-$60 an hour, and balk over minimum wage? What is wrong with that picture???
    I have charged $20-$30 an hour + materials for sewing for years and have plenty of customers. People who insist you can not make money quilting just haven't figured out how. Visit the { QuiltsforSale.ca} website and do some browsing, see what people are asking - and receiving for their quilts. Decide what your time is worth to you, Put everything in writing, be organized, keep good records and enjoy your journey.