Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Printed Interfacing >
  • Printed Interfacing

• Printed Interfacing

Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 AM

Has anyone used the printed interfacing made by Quilt smart? I'm not quite sure how you do this. Is it just for applique :?:
    Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 AM

well you're smarter than me. I have not seen it. What does it look like?
    Old 01-28-2008, 06:34 AM

I have not seen either. Sounds interesting. :-) :-) :-) Pam :-) :-)
    Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 AM

I've used the interfacing printed with the squares. It is actually quite easy to use. I used it in a watercolor project and somewhere down in my quilt room is another one neatly folded up with a ton of blue squares pinned all over it. I thought I would do the background for an underwater scene using the two inch squares. It's really easy to use. You simply get all your pieces where you want them and then iron them in place. Getting the design from your design board to the ironing board can sometimes be a fun adventure. I found I needed to make sure everything was very secure or my pieces went flying all over the place. :roll:

The printed interfacing works very well but the finished quilt is NOT going to be one you want to do any hand quilting with!! It does add a rather thick layer and until it is washed there is the glue from it that is holding the pieces onto the interfacing, making it even harder for hand quilters, which is why machine or long arm quilting is recommended. Also, you can't be too rough with the pieces before they're ironed into place or they might come off. I hope that helps.
    ~Tiffany
    Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 AM

I saw it demo'd recently. Let's say you have all your squares down; you pinch the interfacing so that the fabric is right sides together (it's pre-perforated) and you sew a quarter inch from the edge of the interfacing. You do this in parallel rows for the whole sheet. Then, you go back and clip all the intersections so you can pinch the rows going in the other direction. You sew all those quarter inch seams.

I think in the demo she removed the interfacing at this point (which would mean you could hand sew) but I'm not positive about this (and it would be a lot of picking away the interfacing).

Hope that helps.
    Old 01-28-2008, 07:16 AM

I've used the grid and it was just fine, but I did machine quilt it for a wallhanging.
    I have seen the double wedding ring & robbing peter to pay paul interfacing in a demo but have never used it myself. http://www.quiltsmart.com/ check out the quiltsmart101 for more info.
    Old 01-28-2008, 07:45 AM

I haven't heard of a method where you picked away all the interfacing. I would imagine, much like paper piecing, that would get somewhat tedious. Perhaps a wash-away type of interfacing would work for hand quilters. Do they even make a wash away type of interfacing?
    ~Tiffany
    Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Quilt smat has kits with the shapes printed out, enough for a whole quilt. 3.50 for a set...........someone here must have tried them........go to quiltsmart.com and you will see them
    Old 01-28-2008, 01:07 PM

I ordered the interfacing kit to make a Lone Star but have put it on the back burner for now. Hopefully I'll get to it soon.
    Old 01-28-2008, 05:28 PM
    bj

I think this is the product that Eleanor Burns used when she did a show making quilts using a cross-stitch pattern. Each little square represented a stitch from the pattern. It was an interesting concept, although the book she got the idea from was from the 30's. The wall hanging she did was beautiful.