Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Birds nest" THANK YOU!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/%22birds-nest%22-thank-you-t67541.html)

mpeters1200 10-02-2010 04:33 PM

I think Maryanne Fonz calls them spiders. I used to use "leaders & enders" when piecing to eliminate this same issue. Then, Bonnie um, total halfsimers moment...Hunter? Huntsville quilt lady made this stunning scrap quilt. All she did was start and end each chain piecing with stitching together a couple small squares. It served the purpose of eliminating the spit up and at the same time creates pretty blocks to use in a stashbusting quilt someday.

She has a few ideas. Google her website, or it's on here somewhere.

IBQUILTIN 10-02-2010 05:16 PM

Happy to hear you found a "fix" If you woule use a starter strip when piecing, you won't have to hold those threads.

JoAnnB 10-02-2010 05:21 PM

I, too, have to hold on to the threads when I begin stitching or I get wads of thread on the back of the fabric. I have a Bernina Activa and I complain about this each time I take it in for cleaning. Nothing changes after servicing--I just have to remember to hold on to the threads--especially the top thread.

cjaye44 10-02-2010 05:51 PM

My Activa and my Janome both have their little "hissy fits" and do the same thing. So frustrating :thumbdown: :thumbdown: They just have their mood swings.

Dee 10-02-2010 05:51 PM

So happy you solved your problem. Our babies must be kept happy.

Momsmurf 10-02-2010 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Annya

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana
Another "trick" is to start with a scrap of fabric then feed in the item you want to sew.
I do this alot when I am piecing. If I don't my first piece gets yucked on.

I try to do that most of the time. it is easier and saves a lot of time and frustration.

Same here. I have a bunch of 1 1/2" squares cut and handy. I jsut reach in and grab a light and a dark piece and run it through at the end of a seam. I have a medium sized box about half full now and will soon have to put them together for something! :roll: :thumbup:
Saves thread plus I get to use those tiny scraps ... heaven forbid that they should be thrown out!

Annz 10-03-2010 08:46 AM

Must feel good to have the problem solved.

Ruby Y Campos 10-03-2010 01:01 PM

I have heard that some use their already cut squares (or whatever size one wishes) at each time they are sewing they use 2 and sew them before their regular project. I made a charm quilt I using 2.5 x 4.5 and it didn't take long until I had a row together. Continue doing this each time you begin sewing and by the time you have your #1 project your charm strips are together also. I hope I am explaining this correctly. I do think the real trick is to always see that you threads are pulled back before beginning to sew.

patdesign 10-03-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by gangles
I glued a 1/2" round of the sticky side of Velcro on the right side about 4 inches behind my needle and I take the thread back there and rub it into the little "hooks" and they hold it and leave both my hands free. Not my original idea, I read it somewhere on the internet. You could just use a short piece of straight Velcro also, not necessarily go by the package of "dots" just for this project.

GREAT IDEA thanks for sharing!

madamekelly 10-03-2010 08:31 PM

I had the 'thread barf problem' until I saw someone use a little piece of fabric that they stitched onto every time they finished a seam, them left it in place until the next seam, and then sewing off of it onto the new seam, etc. etc. Works like a charm. You can use the same piece until it is too stiff to sew, chuck it, and start with a new one. I use a piece about 1"x2", double thickness. I read somewhere that this method has a name, but I don't remember it, I just remember to do it. Saves lots of thread because you don't waste all that at the end and beginning of seams. Bonus! Less thread tails to trim and chase! *The other ladies are right also, nothing works a well as a fuzz-free machine.