Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   1/4" Walking foot???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-4%22-walking-foot-t13214.html)

patricej 11-16-2008 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i have 3 walking foots. (because they came with the machines.) they all look like this one, which can be purchased for $30 or less. i line up the edge of the fabric with the edge of the rectangular hole. perfect 1/4".

auntluc 11-16-2008 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Patrice...the solution was just too simple. I've now had my V8 and slapped myself on the fore head over this one. :lol:
I lined the right side of the walking foot with the edge of the fabric and got a 1/4" seam. You're one smart quilter.

Dodie 11-16-2008 08:51 PM

I have 2 Pfaffs they have the dual feed system or walking foot which you can use any foot with on one I do use the quarter inch foot other is computer so the needle moves so sew quarter inch that way

Connie1948 11-17-2008 03:23 AM

Most walking feet have marks on them. These marks are there for measuring distance from the needle. Look for them. Both my Janome and Bernina have them. A lot of the times the right side of the foot is 1/4 inch.

auntluc 11-17-2008 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Connie1948
Most walking feet have marks on them. These marks are there for measuring distance from the needle. Look for them. Both my Janome and Bernina have them. A lot of the times the right side of the foot is 1/4 inch.

It seams like I was the only one that didn't know the right side of the walking foot was a 1/4".... :oops:

mary 11-17-2008 03:21 PM

kenmore puts out an open toe walking foot. It is a jewel to use as you can see where you are sewing. I really like it!!! mary

patricej 11-17-2008 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by auntluc
It seams like I was the only one that didn't know the right side of the walking foot was a 1/4".... :oops:

not true. this question comes up quite often.

the only reason i know my walking feet have good 1/4" reference points is that i tested several of my different feet one evening so i could answer a similar question based on the results.

grannypjb 11-19-2008 05:24 PM

It sure does exist. See your sewing machine dealer and ask for one. They sure come in hand.

auntluc 12-11-2008 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i line up the edge of the fabric with the edge of the rectangular hole. perfect 1/4".

Thank you Patrice for this post.
I just pieced a quilt top using my walking foot instead of a 1/4" foot..I had better results in the beginning and ending of each seam. I put my needle in the down position, placed my fabric right up to the needle, lined up the edge of my fabric with the rectangular hole in the walking foot, held onto the thread ends when I started and got perfect 1/4" seams.
The walking foot also solved the problem of my fabric ends not matching when I got to the end of a seam.
This is probably the best quilting tip I've gotten...I think I'll always piece my tops using my walking foot.

retrogirl02 12-11-2008 03:18 PM

that would be so awesome. I've not yet purchased the 1/4 inch foot because masking tape works great for me but I'd LOVE to have that for sure!!!!!!