Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2 layers of batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2-layers-batting-t283754.html)

lindaschipper 11-16-2016 04:53 AM

Years ago I made a quilt top for a raffle for veterans and took it to a long arm quilter. Told her that I wanted it to be "fluffy", and left the quilting pattern up to her. What I got back was a quilt with TWO layers of fluffy batting that made the quilt so heavy you couldn't lift it. They only made $150 on the raffle because no one wanted to sleep with something that heavy on them. I was so upset!

AZ Jane 11-16-2016 06:28 AM

Why not start with a fluffy batting? My first thought was some of the poly batting are quite fluffy.

quiltingcandy 11-16-2016 12:47 PM

I used 2 low loft poly battings before, but those quilts I tied, so can't say about quilting. I went to high loft batting and felt that was easier.

QuilterMomma 11-16-2016 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by susanwilley (Post 7698882)
Has anyone ever used 2 layers of batting when layering their quilt? Was it harder to quilt? Did you like it afterward? Would you do it again? I am considering using two layers on my next quilt to make it a little more fluffy. What are you thoughts?

I am a longarm quilter, I use two layers quite frequently. Not only when doing custom, but also use the double batt with problem quilts. Questions you need to ask yourself:
1. How fluffy?
2. How warm?
3. How am I going to quilt this?

Depending on the type of batting you plan on using will also help determine how you are going to quilt. You state that you want a fluffy quilt. Just how fluffy, comforter? If going for a comforter, using a domestic machine or hand quilting, you may consider using a high loft poly, a 9 oz or 12 oz. Those are both fluffy and will be warm with little difficulty on quilting.
If you are a woof lover, as myself, I would get a good quality 80/20 wool and then use an 80/20 Hobbs cotton. Those two together give for a lofty quilt, heavier, and very warm but allow you to breathe. You will not get the loft if you quilt it heavily. Plus using a domestic makes it a bit challenging with two layers, you will want to baste it very well.
That is my two cents worth.

sushi 11-16-2016 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=QuilterMomma;7700530] If you are a woof lover, as myself,

i can tell you're a "woof lover" by your avatar, QuilterMomma:o LOL

quiltingshorttimer 11-16-2016 08:55 PM

I like using an 80/20 Hobbs on the bottom and a washable wool bat on the top (prefer Hobbs Heirloom, but have a roll that isn't) when I want a quilt that really "pops" the quilting. It does make the quilt heavier, but not too bad. but have to admit that I love wool ANYTIME! quilts so wonderfully and quilting is so noticeable on it. I don't hand quilt but my HQ friends like wool too

rryder 11-18-2016 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7699063)
That's one way to keep them out of your hair LOL

😂😂😂😂

I needed that!

Rob