Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2014 Fabric Moratorium Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2014-fabric-moratorium-moratorium-t235509.html)

janRN 11-26-2013 05:42 AM

I clip coupons and shop in bulk to save on groceries. I shop sales to save money on clothes. I pack my lunch to save money instead of buying take-out. I buy gas with grocery card savings. I economize on everything. BUT FABRIC!! If I like it and see a potential use for it, I buy it. I like not having to go out to buy fabric for a project when I feel like starting it; today is a perfect example with all the (bleeping) snow we're getting. I can shop in my stash. Will I use it all up before I die? Heck no, but my friends will have a ball going thru it!!

I like this kind of moratorium!

Quilty-Louise 11-26-2013 06:01 AM

I NEVER go out shopping on Black Friday. I did it once back in the 1980's
went to KMart to buy a suitcase and a toaster.

That took me 6 hours to get the 2 items and get checked out. I swore NEVER
to do that again. So far I haven't.

Since our girls are all grown and out of the house now (2 live out of state) we
just give the them money because they prefer that to gifts. I try to make them
little things, but they don't much like that.

I usually wait at least a week into the holiday season before I venture into the
stores.

Lori S 11-26-2013 06:13 AM

I am with you on this, I know if I say I will purchase nothing... it will weigh on my mind. If I give myself a allowance it has a chance in being more successful.

Emma S 11-26-2013 06:22 AM

I think a budget might be a better idea. I did a lot better with the moratorium than I would have without but still not that great. The idea of a running total on all quilting related supplies might help too. Trying to be more realistic.

sandy l 11-26-2013 09:11 AM

I think for 2014 I'm going to put something on my sewing room wall where I record all the money I spend. It will be interesting to actually track it and see how much I spend.[/QUOTE]

It could also scare the h*** out of some of us:D

costumegirl 11-26-2013 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 6424843)
hmmmm ... that's a really good idea. :thumbup:

before i start, though, i'm going to raid my furniture and pockets ... buy a pile of stuff before 31 Dec ... and start fresh.

hey!
you didn't say we couldn't/shouldn't cheat a little. LOL LOL LOL

Ha Ha!!!! I'm with you on that one Patrice!!!

LOL! I just went to the LQS looking for a particular colour in an FQ for a project and bought $90 of stuff!!!! OMG!!! What was I thinking!! - well :shock: I wasn't but I was smiling when I got home with my meager bundle :o

Sunnie 11-26-2013 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla (Post 6424835)
I think for 2014 I'm going to put something on my sewing room wall where I record all the money I spend. It will be interesting to actually track it and see how much I spend.

I really like this idea, but I think it may scare me once it gets a few entries. ;)

klgls 11-26-2013 10:32 AM

I'm with you - besides my daughter says to buy fabric now because when I retire I won't be able to afford to buy as much and I will have a great stash built up. :thumbup:

Emma S 11-26-2013 05:04 PM

Just to make sure I understand, we are down to terrorizing ourselves to avoid purchasing fabric?

quiltsRfun 11-26-2013 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 6426140)
Just to make sure I understand, we are down to terrorizing ourselves to avoid purchasing fabric?

As I understand it, it's a moratorium on moratoriums. Kind of a double negative thing.