Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2014 Fabric Moratorium Moratorium (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2014-fabric-moratorium-moratorium-t235509.html)

Sewnoma 11-26-2013 06:20 PM

I can't go on a fabric moratorium!

I'm trying to eat better but I have a bad Starbucks addiction - I was going every morning before work and treating myself to a mocha as my morning "meal". Which is expensive (almost $5), in addition to being a pretty rotten breakfast. But I have stopped spending money on Starbucks by telling myself that if I skip Starbucks that morning I will save enough money to buy an "extra" half-yard of fabric. That way I don't feel deprived - I'm not denying myself anything, I'm simply choosing between two different treats! Easy choice, too - fabric wins hands down. Plus, in my mind, this means I get 2-1/2 yards of fabric for "free" per week!

So...I'm definitely not on a fabric moratorium, in fact, a fabric moratorium could be hazardous to my health!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Nammie to 7 11-26-2013 06:26 PM

I'm with the rest of you -- I really don't plan on purchasing any fabric (especially after ruler folding all my fabric and hanging all the backings (found 28 of them). I feel that I have a much better idea on what I have so I plan on using as much of that as possible but will not feel guilty about buying what I need to finish a project.

SouthPStitches 11-26-2013 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 6426195)
As I understand it, it's a moratorium on moratoriums. Kind of a double negative thing.

Absolutely! I refuse to deny myself fabric in 2014. If my credit cards experience a total melt-down and the fabric gnomes take total control of my house, I take full responsibility.

AngeliaNR 11-26-2013 07:43 PM

I'm thinking of a kind of fabric diet--plenty to live on, just fewer extras. Batting and backing and borders are necessary food groups--I'll just cut back on desserts. That doesn't mean I can never have birthday cake or cherry pie on the fourth of July or :insert your necessary, once-in-a-while indulgence here: , but I will recognize that it IS an indulgence, enjoy it, and move on without guilt.

Debbie C 11-27-2013 03:53 AM

I appreciate your self control!! LOL!!

quilttiger 11-27-2013 03:56 AM

A total moratorium on buying quilt fabrics is a no-no here, :D. I do have a lovely stash which I will not be able to use up for sure. I go "shopping" through my stash first before starting a project. I call it "cashing in my investments." THEN I buy only what is needed to finish the project. If I do buy anything not related to a project, it is usually tone on tone, blender and neutral colors which are always useful. Hard not to buy fabrics since there are so many neat ones out there :).

Retired Fire Chief 11-27-2013 04:26 AM

I think I'll join your club. I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy any fabric what so ever until I finish some of my ufos and make the quilts I have in mind with the fabric I already have - but, next week I have to go north to do an inspection and I won't be far from one of the most beautiful quilt shops in the nation! You can't be that close without going there and I can already hear fabric calling my name............

Normabeth 11-27-2013 04:30 AM

I totally agree!

grammasharon 11-27-2013 04:33 AM

Love it!! I don't drink Starbucks but hey that's where I save my money for my "free" fabric! Husband will love this one!

twinkie 11-27-2013 04:34 AM

I cannot stop buying fabric and I currently have more than I can ever use.