Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   505 basting spray? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/505-basting-spray-t199891.html)

crafterrn1 09-08-2012 07:35 AM

Hello and welcome from CT. I use 505 spray all the time. Well hubby does the spraying for me. Hand issues ugh! I have gone to sewing directly after spraying I have not had any issues. I also have waited several years after basting to quilt and also had no issues. I have machine and hand quilted after using 505 spray and again no issues. Remember to spray lightly and evenly. I also suggest purchasing a 4mil plastic drop cloth to protect the surface you are spraying on! I spray on top of the hot tub, which is a perfect height! Enjoy the process. Luann

susie-susie-susie 09-08-2012 07:38 AM

I don't wait, and have never had a problem. It washes out no matter how long it's been on the quilt. I only use a thin film (cheap) and never have a problem with my needle getting gunky. Love the stuff--it's so much faster.
Sue

Helen S 09-08-2012 07:43 AM

Welcome to the board!
I just used the 505 spray for the first time. I'm totally impressed with it and it sure does beat the heck out of all that pinning! (now what to do with all those pins!?) I don't care WHAT it costs, I'll be buying it again!

I sprayed the batting VERY lightly, not even completely, and smoothed the backing fabric onto it, flipped it, smoothed the batting, flipped it back and made sure all was smooth. I then sprayed the batting top, added the quilt top and smoothed it flat. I went to work on the quilt almost immediately! No sticky needle, no other problems, other than my arm stuck to one spot of the batting while working on it. lol (It peeled right off! lol) Two days later, I worked on the quilt again and had to pull the top back slightly to cut the batting edges. When I smoothed the top back in place it stayed where I put it, so, I'd have to give this stuff a big fat TEN!

gigi712 09-08-2012 08:02 AM

I just used it on a quilt and I did let it dry overnight just because ...... not sure, just thought it was the thing to do. I love the stuff! Getting on my knees on the floor has become impossible for me as well as bending over the bed. It's a sore back and arthritic knee miracle worker for me. Yaaaay!

BellaBoo 09-08-2012 10:06 AM

I just used June Taylor basting spray on a king size quilt and started machine quilting it immediately afterwards. I spray lightly and not all over the quilt, more like baste spraying.

Prism99 09-08-2012 02:52 PM

I have heard it is better to wait overnight to be sure the spray has dried completely. Holds better when dry and doesn't gum up your needle. Personally I don't think it takes that long to dry. I'm usually not ready to start quilting right after spray basting so my quilts wait at least a couple of hours; that seems to be long enough, as I've never had a problem with the needle gumming up or the layers shifting.

snipforfun 09-08-2012 05:32 PM

I get the 505 from joann.com when its on sale. Got it half price a short time ago plus used a free shipping coupon. Got several cans

maryb119 09-08-2012 05:50 PM

I don't wait. I don't think it makes any difference if you do. I have used 505 for years with great results.

peep 09-08-2012 06:13 PM

Hi Neesie,
Could you tell me how you use Elmers School Glue. Do you mix with water, spray on or paint on? I have used it in appliques, works fine there.
Thanks Peep

virtualbernie 09-09-2012 11:23 AM

I always iron after I spray and sandwich the quilt. It dries the glue and you can still peel and reposition if you need to. No worries about gunking up the needle.