Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   9-patch frustration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/9-patch-frustration-t203311.html)

nycquilter 10-17-2012 03:27 AM

If it is the same block repeatedly, you could strip piece and that would eliminate some of the pain. For example, if the top row is A-B-A, and the finished block is 9", you would cut a 3-1/2",WOF strip of fabric for each piece. Then sew the three strips together in order. Press carefully then cut into 3-1/2" crosswise pieces. The top row is then done. Follow suit for the next two rows of the block. In my opinion, this is quicker and thus eliminates a lot of the tedium.

Good luck,
Laurie

Michelekolt 10-17-2012 03:37 AM

I know how you are feeling, just last week I posted on here aboout cutting my Strip Search all the same way. Some things just happen. Hope today is a better quilting day.

KarenMR 10-17-2012 04:02 AM

A rose is a rose is a Rose by any other name, and nothing in life is ever as simple as it seems. Keep sewing. You'll get it right eventually!
Karen

coopah 10-17-2012 04:27 AM

Nine patch is my favorite! Tomorrow (or the next day or the next) will be better!! Good luck and hope we see your results!

cat2quilt 10-17-2012 04:45 AM

Some days just go like that. Tomorrow will be better.

leighway 10-17-2012 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5589404)
The 9-patches are only 3 color, green, tan, cream. But that is where the problem is...I think....LOL. the cream and the tan are pretty close in shades when not under the light and I am guessing the that I just mix them up. I have 6 to fix this morning to finish up what I need for the blocks (18 blocks-4 per block), the remainder are for the setting triangles and those are gonna wait till I need them!

If the cream and tan are close, what about not fussing over it and just interchange them? It could make for some great secondary patterns. Do you have a picture of some of it or the final (hoped for) quilt so we could see it? I'm intrigued.

Grace MooreLinker 10-17-2012 07:39 AM

Sometimes walking away for a while helps alot. I do that when I become to up tight over the way things aren't going.

Kathy Osterby 10-17-2012 08:29 AM

I too have to put a pin on the side to be sewn!I have made too many pinwheel blocks going the wrong way-ends up a 4 patch instead-so I had to do something to show the right way.(still made a few 4 patches that weren't found in time lol) I do the strip piecing way when doing 9 patches much easier and faster. And like everyone else I give it a rest until brain works again.

carolynjo 10-17-2012 01:26 PM

If not every patch is different, use strips to make them. You will need 2 sets: one set of strips using 2 colors: A,B, A;
a second set should use the same colors but in different sequence B, A, B. Sew them, press them, and then slice across each strip to make the size squares you need. Sew them together then, using ABA, BAB, ABA. The next block should be BAB, ABA, BAB. Hope this makes sense.

MadQuilter 10-17-2012 01:35 PM

If you do a repeat of the same colors/fabrics, you could lay them all out in piles. Then take 2 piles and sew those two fabrics together, always putting the same one on the top. Then add the third fabric to the same side of that pile. Repeat for row 2 and row 3. There is more than one way to skin a cat (or sew a 9-patch). lol