Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/allergy-pets-interfering-volunteer-longarming-t287914.html)

sval 05-01-2017 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7815217)
Why not make life simpler for yourself and only work on quilts that you have made yourself?

That way, you will know what is in them and what the fabrics have been exposed to.

You have mentioned being allergic to many things - so it just does not seem feasible to get yourself sick working on "who knows what"?

I do think the allergy factor of the final recipients should also be a concern.

I'm about to this conclusion. I got the longarm for donation work. I planned to be standing at the quilter when I was 80 working on quilts for charity. I couldn't justify buying one for the few quilts I make. But it hasn't turned out the way I had hoped. Not much can be done about that. Maybe I should just sell it.

I agree about the final recipient. I'm not seeing any concern about that. I'm pretty sure all the donation quilts aren't being washed before being awarded. Some of the vets are already sick. They don't need to add to it.

bearisgray 05-01-2017 11:11 AM

As far as selling your long-arm -

If it is already paid for and you enjoy using it - make more quilts and get more use out of it! :-)

Or use it for a coatrack - place to put stuff until you get around to putting it where it should go. :-)

I see no reason to feel guilty about using something just for one's own purposes -

Dolphyngyrl 05-01-2017 11:18 AM

This will probably sound extreme but have you considered allergy shots. I know people who have major allergies to animals and they get shots for it. It would allow you to continue your work with less hassle but it is a monthly injection. Many people have pets probably more so than dont so it might be hard to truly get tops of pet owners that won't affect you. Removing hair is easier than removing dander as dander is in the air and you can't see it

feline fanatic 05-01-2017 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by sval (Post 7815227)
I planned to be standing at the quilter when I was 80 working on quilts for charity.

Wow, you must be in exceptional physical shape and/or have robotics.

I can't imagine being physically able to longarm quilts in my 80's. At least not the volume that most charities would create.

Longarming takes a physical toll.

sval 05-01-2017 12:09 PM

Nope. No robotics. The longarmer for one of the groups here is 79 and still going strong for at least a couple hours a day.
I panto.

popover 05-01-2017 12:30 PM

I'm 70. I don't longarm, but I still stack hay and carry 50# sacks of feed. Being old doesn't have to make you feeble.

cashs_mom 05-01-2017 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7814943)
​If breathing in the hair and dander are a problem, how about getting a really good mask like the auto paint techs use?

Good idea! Those masks filter out paint fumes so they would definitely filter out pet dander.

Onebyone 05-01-2017 01:28 PM

Paper masks keep particulates out but not fumes. I wouldn't wear one in my own home to do volunteer work.

sval 05-01-2017 01:44 PM

Me either.

MadQuilter 05-01-2017 02:10 PM

I don't gift quilts that didn't have a run through the washer first. With the formaldehyde and who-knows-what chemicals are in fabric these days, it is my decision to work with unwashed fabric because that only affects me, but I would not give that away in unwashed condition. Same goes for pet hair.