Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I a meanie? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-meanie-t213711.html)

francie yuhas 02-13-2013 06:59 AM

About the lady who attempted to give you the guilt trip: that's called manipulative behavior and is not nice. You are doing her a favor by saying no: don't reinforce the weirdness.

valleyquiltermo 02-13-2013 07:06 AM

You know I'm a piecer and quilter not a clothing repair person. I do make custom quilts for some people but I retain the right to accept or refuse to do them. I'm also very picky about quilt tops that people want me to quilt. I do charge for everything I do. And if I don't want to do it I have a very steep price, usually they find someone else. I also provide them with other quilters who will do anything for them. Personaly I prefer to do my own thing. If they don't want me to do that then I refuse the work. Besides I'm always about 20 tops ahead of anyone new. I never feel quilty because I paid for my machine so I don't feel the need to hire myself out.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-13-2013 07:12 AM

Knowing how to sew is like being a stay at home mom. When children are little and you are a stay at home mom, the world thinks you would love to babysit their kids for them. When you know how to sew, the world thinks you are available to make a baby quilt with 2 days notice.

If quilting is your hobby, you should be able to make what you want when you want. Take orders makes it a job. Tell them all no.

Lori S 02-13-2013 07:21 AM

You should never feel compleled to make something for someone just because they suggested it. My approach is I tell them" I would be happy to give them a lesson once they have purchased their fabric, thread , pattern etc". I add that "I will teach you so you can enjoy making gifts for others".
In my many years I have only had one person take me up on the offer and it was a pleasure to get them started on their quilting journey.

annthreecats 02-13-2013 07:24 AM

No. You are not a meanie. I always respond with "I'm a hobby quilter, not a professional." I work full-time so I have an out. I only make quilts as gifts for people I want to have them.

ontheriver 02-13-2013 07:36 AM

I politely say no, I do not have the time. The only exception is my grandson's best friend (they are 12yo), I always hem his pants for him when he gets new ones, but he and his parents do many things for DGS also.

nativetexan 02-13-2013 08:02 AM

since you paid thousands of dollars for your machine, you can charge a lot for any work for others. i would give quotes that help you pay off your machine. they will quiet down after you do that. I too hate "having" to make things. as it is, i just made two aprons for a lady. it's hard to say no loud enough without being rude.

thecolorofcloth 02-13-2013 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 5858080)
I have been asked a couple times to make quilts for people. After doing a table runner for a lady I have decided I don't want to"have" to make something for someone. One lady said "you paid thousands of dollars for that machine
and you can't make me a baby quilt for my great grandaughter?" Should I feel so guilty for saying no?

That's called passive-agressive. All you have to do is quote her an hourly rate of $20/hr for piecing and quilting and $30/hr for the machine rental. After all, you have to recoup your 'thousands of dollars' on that machine. ;)

QM 02-13-2013 08:06 AM

It was unreasonable of her to pressure you that way.

quiltin-nannie 02-13-2013 08:16 AM

Thanks everyone, for making me feel better about this! The funny thing is, this lady bakes pies for people and charges $14 a pie. Maybe we could trade; I could get pies for quilts! LOL! I don't know how she knew how much my machine was; when she asked about what kind of machine, I just told her an embroidery/sewing machine. I love making quilts, but don't want pressure. I do make them for family members, free of charge, filled with love! And I have given quilts to be auctioned for a scholarship fund. So I don't think I'm "too" stingy!