Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I a meanie? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-meanie-t213711.html)

vintagetouch 02-13-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by winia (Post 5858120)
If anyone asks me to make anything for them, I always tell them that they must pick out the pattern and buy the fabric. The subject is usually never mentioned again.

This sounds like a good response. If they realize that they have to put something into it, then they will be willing to pay or drop the subject.

tate_elliott 02-13-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 5859359)
some people have more balls than a bowling alley.

Note to self: Don't read lynnie's posts with mouthful of iced tea.

Now where'd I put the Windex?

Tate

TanyaL 02-13-2013 08:31 PM

That lady has a car she paid thousands of dollars for, maybe tens of thousands of dollars for. Does she feel she has to give rides to everyone who asks her? Is she running a taxi service because she has a car? Why should you run a quilting business because you have a nice sewing machine? Or does she have a spare bedroom at home? Is she renting it? Obviously she doesn't have a clue about why some people go into a business, even a part-time part hobby business, and some don't. You shouldn't feel guilty. You should feel amazed at her nerve and her stupidity.

Jan in VA 02-13-2013 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott (Post 5860046)
Note to self: Don't read lynnie's posts with mouthful of iced tea.

Now where'd I put the Windex?

Tate

Both of you are funnier than a room of monkies!!
I'm not going to comment on the (I almost typed "lady) woman's question....I'm sure most all of you know exactly how I feel about that one!

Jan in VA
Jan in VA

gzuslivz 02-13-2013 10:45 PM

I bet all of us have encountered someone like this. Passive-aggressive behavior doesn't work on me. I find it offensive that someone would think I'm stupid enough to fall for it. I say yes to the things that I want to do or that God wants me to do. It seems as though people will try all kinds of things to get what they want. We do not have any reason to feel guilty for not falling for someone's manipulative schemes. Let it roll off your back.

kathbug 02-14-2013 03:34 AM

No one should feel obligated to use their craft for someone else unless it is out of love for someone, Christian love. And made with a cheerful heart. If it is something you don't want to do you will not do you best!

kuntryquilter 02-14-2013 03:38 AM

When someone asks me to make something for them, I always give them a price.

Aurora 02-14-2013 03:41 AM

When I was young and somewhat innocent, I found it difficult to say NO. Now that I am older and alot more confident, I have not problem saying NO. If someone is foolish enough to attempt to put me in an uncomfortable position, I am smart enough not to stay there.

If they are uncomfortable with my response, they should not have asked the question.

JustAbitCrazy 02-14-2013 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 5858376)
If someone asks for a small project every now and then - I'll usually do it. I had one neighbor who decided I was a personal tailor, and I finally decided enough, told her never to ask again. Got told that wasn't "Christian"
Too bad.

Are you kidding me? Because you wouldn't continue to be her personal tailor (probably for free, right?) you weren't Christian?! She doesn't know what the word Christian means, obviously, and I think you and the original poster here know the same woman!

shirleysonshine 02-14-2013 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 5858376)
If someone asks for a small project every now and then - I'll usually do it. I had one neighbor who decided I was a personal tailor, and I finally decided enough, told her never to ask again. Got told that wasn't "Christian"
Too bad.

Well, in my humble opinion as a Christian... it isn't Christian to take advantage of another person's talents or gifts, either. The freeloaders love to use that against you to steal your time and talents.