Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   another newbie question. Thanks. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-newbie-question-thanks-t146992.html)

grandjan 08-23-2011 11:04 AM

Neither terrible nor tacky and, back in the days of our grandmothers, it used to be a commonly used way of binding quilts. Generally, most people seem to prefer a separate binding these days, which is stronger and easier to repair if there is wear to the quilt. No quilt police here though. Do what works for you. Can't emphasize that one enough.

justme CA 08-23-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit

Originally Posted by carolynbb
How terrible, tacky and unprofessional is it to pull the backing around onto the top of the quilt and machine stitch down - rather than do the traditional binding on the edges?? All opinions welcome.

I do it! ANd I am not tacky! :twisted:

Me neither, and love your avatar!

Where's OC CA? I am in Pleasant Hill CA

BarbaraSue 08-23-2011 11:24 AM

Sometimes it is easier and faster to do that. I've done that on baby quilts lots.:)

IBQUILTIN 08-23-2011 11:35 AM

Its your quilt and that is one technique used to finish a quilt. Go for it. Its not tacky at all

Janis 08-23-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
The quilting world went through a period in the 70s and early 80s where there was a whole new generation discovering quilting for themselves, not having been exposed to it through mothers or grandmothers. This was the resurgence that became the quilting world we know today.

Many technical skills had been lost or were new to these quilters and they often re-invented things for themselves, including turning the backing to the front as binding. Strip piecing/speed-piecing was also part of this movement as the quilters tired of making templates for squares, rectangles and triangles from cardboard or plastic.

But the binding methods quickly began to upgrade as studies of antique quilts and their construction methods caught on and became a topic of discussion...think of people like Barbara Brackman, Pat Nichols, Hazel Carter, Cuesta Benberry, Gerald Roy, etc.

These historians, appraisers, collectors showed us that most antique quilts -- though not all, by any means --generally had separately applied bindings, usually of two layers of fabric. Most of the instructors of the early resurgence then began to teach this way of binding quilts and it soon became the "accepted" manner and was almost universally required for quilts that were expected to be show judged. Just as the amount of quilting looked for within a quilt has increased over the years on the show floor.

Either method of binding is "correct" simply because it's *your* quilt. Straight-grain binding versus bias-grain binding is also "correct", although bias binding was almost unheard of before the quilts of the 1920-30s with their scalloped edges.

Personally I straight-grain cut my binding strips, join them on the diagonal, miter the corners, finish the binding with a diagonal seam, and generally turn and sew them down by hand with mitered corners.

Jan in VA

Thank you Jan for the quilting history.
I made my first 'quilt' in 1976 with some red/white/& blue fabric for my son to celebrate 1776/1976 as I found fabric that had it on it. I didn't know anything about quilting, and didn't have any quilting books or magazines. I just cut squares and sewed them together, sandwiched the backing and batting and sewed them together. I figured out what I was doing as I did it. I was so proud of that quilt until I showed it to an older neighbor. She said that it was NOT a quilt but a comforter since I didn't quilt it, but tied it instead. Of course I didn't quilt it, I didn't know how to do it.
So, in response to what she said to me, I don't judge other people's accomplishments, but celebrate them. Many ways to do things, and who knows, that's how we learn other ways to do things. I'm so happy we are not all alike. It would be boring if we all did everything just alike all the time. Think CREATIVITY!!!

charlotte37830 08-23-2011 01:09 PM

This is the only way I ever saw quilts be bound until after I was grown and I come from a long line of quilters. It is the way I bind most of mine.

craftynell 08-23-2011 02:07 PM

You know what. We do it our way, you do it your way.
It is everyones way they want.

Joanie2 08-23-2011 02:38 PM

That's not tacky. I remember my first quilt binding. I machine sewed the binding to the front side and then folded down the entire binding to the back side so that it did not show on the front at all. Looked ok to me. Was all a learning experience and a personal preference. Whatever you like, whatever works for you is fine. Don't sweat it.

joyful1 08-23-2011 03:23 PM

I understand that the binding will wear out faster this way, but what if the backing is big enough to fold over (making it double around the edge) and then bring to the front and sew it? just a quick thought.

LisaGibbs 08-23-2011 04:18 PM

I finished off my nephews t-shirt quilt that way because I was short of time to get it done and in my suitcase for the flight to Arizona. It was my third finished quilt and I wasn't confident enough to mess with the binding and have it ready it time. I looked very nice.