Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   another newbie question. Thanks. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-newbie-question-thanks-t146992.html)

CorneliaVa 08-23-2011 03:45 AM

It's been my understanding that the turn-over binding was rather simple and traditional ..... and the first choice at the time of assembly if there was sufficient backing material to do so .... those edges get a lot of handling, wear and tear, and at that point it is easy to trim and get to unworn parts and THEN put on the separate binding and have a fresh-looking quilt .....

When putting on the separate binding, I was told to do the side bindings first, and then the top and bottom bindings - as the top and bottom bindings wear faster. It is easier/symmetrical to refashion only TWO cleaner, crisper new bindings and not have to do all sides of the quilt AGAIN ....

Makes sense .... but since I started quilting at a later age, I will probably be long-gone before any of my bindings have a need to be re-done :lol:

ka9sdn 08-23-2011 04:04 AM

Do it on my donated quilts.

supergma 08-23-2011 04:07 AM

My Granny and my Mom both finished their quilts this way. The edges wear through a lot quicker.

daisylil 08-23-2011 04:07 AM

I think the answer here is ,,,,,,,are we all professionals ? I think not ,and its not neccessarily the quality of the quilt , its the care that one person shows for another to give it ,,,,,,

mar32428 08-23-2011 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
All the quilts my GM and DM did were done this way. The down side for me is the edge wears faster.

I have too but agree, the edges wear out faster. I have wondered if that's how binding came to be. First, the edge is double fabric and if it does show wear, it could be removed and replaced.

AnnT 08-23-2011 04:14 AM

I do that sometimes, especially if the backing is a favorite color or design or if I can't find any binding that says "Pick me! Pick me!" I like the way it looks with some of my quilts. To me, some of my other quilts look better done with separate binding. It's all up to you.

MrsGuava 08-23-2011 04:23 AM

Many people like the wrap around method. I have not tried it.
I usually make a 2 1/2 inch binding. I sew it with the machine and whip stitch onto the back. If it is a quilt that is going to get rough use, I just sewing the whole binding on by machine.

marthe brault-hunt 08-23-2011 04:32 AM

As long as a person has a person does want to learn something new , it is all right with me. Some will use Accuquilt, Tangles and send their quilt out to be quilted by machine, others will do exactly as they learnt in their family. I have an inquisitive mind, I like to try new ways and pick the one most suitable to my present work. I simply wish that we keep an open mind, try new ways, not compare other quilters work to put them down, but to learn from them.

joyce j 08-23-2011 04:47 AM

I have done many quilts this way. the one on my bed an it gets washrd every week. been ther6 years still wearing good. but I also make 2to 3 ins strips an fold for the binding, either way is fine.

glorcour 08-23-2011 05:00 AM

I don't do it that way but I say, "whatever works"
Do it the way you like