Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anybody Know about Fabric scales? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anybody-know-about-fabric-scales-t63361.html)

quiltmaker 09-09-2010 03:47 AM

I am really stymied on this one. I have tried looking it up and seem to be coming up against a block wall. I don't think this is for fabric measuring. Looks more like a drafting device. Anxious to find out what this really is!

What a mystery.........

bizybess 09-09-2010 04:26 AM

From what I can find the yield scale is an industrial device for measuring thread count and weight of fabric in a factory setting. All yield scales I can find now are digital. This would be sort of a collector's item but I don't know if there would be a market for it.

quiltmaker 09-09-2010 05:35 AM

Okay, I found one on www.probixbid.com if I've spelled that right...it sold for $6.00 and was the exact picture of yours. They did not list a description which was what I was looking for. Bummer....

buddy'smom 09-09-2010 07:44 AM

Not sure if it's the same, tried to fine it??The chart included with this says it for measuring fabric's and knit goods on an accurate means of determining square yards per pound and ounces?? Has lots more about it as well, but to much to write??

quiltmaker 09-09-2010 01:41 PM

OH, my mistake it was proxibid.com...and I went to find it again and it must have been deleted as it had been sold. Dang, it truly was the same as yours. Wish they'd had a description as I am very curious about it. I kept looking for awhile and haven't found anything yet...sometimes it's just the way you word everything. Wish I'd bookmarked that site for you and we'd have it.

So it says it was for measuring fabric....how did they do it with that? Have you figured it out yet?

I think you got a fabulous unique vintage find!

buddy'smom 09-09-2010 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
OH, my mistake it was proxibid.com...and I went to find it again and it must have been deleted as it had been sold. Dang, it truly was the same as yours. Wish they'd had a description as I am very curious about it. I kept looking for awhile and haven't found anything yet...sometimes it's just the way you word everything. Wish I'd bookmarked that site for you and we'd have it.

So it says it was for measuring fabric....how did they do it with that? Have you figured it out yet?

Well I haven't done anything with it as yet, just may end up being a show piece in my sewiing room???It says scale is furnished with basic cradle hook, interchangeable hook to double readings, and carring case. Does 36" to 45" width of fabric.
I think you got a fabulous unique vintage find!

BellaBoo 09-09-2010 03:46 PM

The one I remember in a dept store when I was a child was heavy metal gray colored with a thick glass round face. the face plate moved like a round tape measure and measured every 1/8 inch of fabric. It was mounted on the end of the table. This was in the late 60's early 70's. The fabric was notched but cut with scissors.