Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Asian Fabric in Microwave (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/asian-fabric-microwave-t164266.html)

Annie68 10-30-2011 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jennoh2
I'm guessing you won't hurt the fabric....but beware of a hefty repair bill for your microwave.

I agree with you, the microwave can be ruined!

lewisl 10-30-2011 09:32 AM

Be very careful with anything metallic put into a microwave. Even a small amount of metal can cause an arc with bad results and it's very scary.

I've learned the hard way over the years to be very, very careful with microwave ovens--the one I have now runs very hot compared to others I've had.

(Speaking of microwave ovens, just an aside- once last year my husband put a half-loaf of frozen bread which was wrapped tightly in plastic wrap into our microwave and started it and within 20 seconds the bread and wrap were actually on fire. We were lucky the house didn't burn down). Now I don't allow him in the kitchen by himself--just kidding. Sometimes I do.

ll

Debbie C 10-30-2011 09:35 AM

if the metallics are heavy enough, I'd think you'd get, at the very least, some sparking. Try it and watch very closely and carefully. I would not stand in front of the microwave during this test!!

Originally Posted by lfw045
Or what if it blows up the microwave.....hmmmmmm

Macie 10-30-2011 10:27 AM

I want to make baked potato bags for the microwave and every where I read use only COTTON. Thread, natural and warm batting and cotton fabric. Nothing else

Lady Diana 10-30-2011 11:30 AM

a staple stuck to my cotton bed buddy when I microwaved it.....it caught the bed buddy on fire. Anything metal will heat up and if on paper or fabric, it could catch it on fire.
Be careful. Test if you have to...perahsp it is only dye and not metallic tread.

Dogwood Quilter 10-30-2011 11:52 AM

Beautiful fabrics but don't use them for the microwave. I made a potato bag before I knew to use only cotton batting etc. It was a fabric that had corn on the cob pattern and possibly a metallic thread. It was used a number of times and then bang! it caught on fire in the microwave. How about casserole carriers or pot holders?

Kas 10-30-2011 11:53 AM

I have sparked things in the micro without killing the machine. Oops. I would just try a piece and be ready to yank the door open!

galvestonangel 10-30-2011 12:32 PM

If it is metallic, it won't blow up, it will spark first. So as long as you are standing there, you can stop it immediately. I know because I put a cup in once with a metallic rim, I wasn't thinking, and it just sparked. I did stop the microwave at that point.

lodes48 10-30-2011 05:02 PM

I made my daughter a potato bag with metallic fibers. It was OK for one use in the microwave per day. When she tried to use it more than one time it caught on fire. Next time I'm making her two so she can use them when company comes.

Gloriaquilter 10-30-2011 05:27 PM

I made a potatoe baker and found out that I shouldn't use 80/20 batting because mine started on fire in the microwave., so be sure to use 100% cotton batting.

Gloriaquilter