Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   backing for a black and white quilt-----help plse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-black-white-quilt-help-plse-t58528.html)

KathyAire 08-09-2010 05:08 AM

I like any color with black and white. I would use a fabric that 'reads' solid, but isn't (has some little design to it). And, whatever color you or the person the quilt is for, likes.

CAROLJ 08-09-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
Have got a black /white q/top log cabin , NO OTHER COLOURS, plse tell me what colour/s would you advise for backing --and would you choose plain or pattern?
Did think a yellowy/green???????????? help! thanks.

I think the yellowy/green would look good. It's not as expected as red would be.

mayday 08-18-2010 11:32 PM

thank you all for your help----am going to a fabric warehouse in Sept, a real treat over here, so will see what they have.

jemma 08-19-2010 02:36 AM

look up dark grey/smoky black fossel fern

bizybess 08-19-2010 03:16 AM

Depending on your batting the back color can shadow through to the top and your white may not look white anymore. You may want to audition your white and batting over whatever you choose. Remember quilting pulls the layers closer together and it may show more along the line of quilting.

Lady-T 08-19-2010 03:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mayday
Have got a black /white q/top log cabin , NO OTHER COLOURS, plse tell me what colour/s would you advise for backing --and would you choose plain or pattern?
Did think a yellowy/green???????????? help! thanks.

I made a B&W for my sister & used a solid white backing then had it quilted with 2 different threads, a gold twisted with red. Sounds weird but really turned out pretty & makes it a 'whole cloth' look on the backside.
(don't have a photo of back :cry: )

gcathie 08-19-2010 04:08 AM

I think anything with black and white in it would be nice...(that is what I'm using)....:-)

ube quilting 08-19-2010 02:49 PM

It depends on what the quilt is telling you! Is it tradtional, modern, whimmmmmsical, etc? A b&W would be fun with cows on the back or multi colored hearts for a loved one. for a living room pull out a coordinating color. The ideas are endless, just go hunting for your perfect fit! you WILL know it when you see it! Post a picture when you do. love to see it!

Scissor Queen 08-19-2010 03:04 PM

Taxi yellow? Hot Pink? Lime Green?

mayday 08-28-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by bizybess
Depending on your batting the back color can shadow through to the top and your white may not look white anymore. You may want to audition your white and batting over whatever you choose. Remember quilting pulls the layers closer together and it may show more along the line of quilting.

now that I never thought about------thanks for tip; am reverting to polydown as this last warm and natural batting has been a bit of a bother , seems to deflect the needle.
will see what fabric I can find but do now think bright self pattern green or self pattern black . THANKS ALL FOR YOUR INPUT